IIRC there are 2 openings, is this a good or bad thing?

That means your main drain is plumbed through the skimmer.

The problem is when you vacuum to waste the water level will drop below the skimmer and the pump will run dry. I don’t think the main drain will help.

You will need to get hoses running into the pool to replace the water you are vacuuming out. It will be a balancing act and you may need to stop and let the pool refill at times.

That means your main drain is plumbed through the skimmer.

The problem is when you vacuum to waste the water level will drop below the skimmer and the pump will run dry. I don’t think the main drain will help.

You will need to get hoses running into the pool to replace the water you are vacuuming out. It will be a balancing act and you may need to stop and let the pool refill at times.
I dont mind if i need to stop and let the pool refill, its still winter, im in no hurry.

if the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer, that means the main drains go to the skimmer, then the skimmer goes to the pump, correct?
how do i tell which hole comes from the main drains and what hole goes to the pump?

how do i tell which hole comes from the main drains and what hole goes to the pump?

Why do you think you need to know that?

Plug a hole for a few seconds and see which hole causes the pump to run dry.

I know the hose for the vacuum goes into the suction line, and I thought I needed to know what hole is the suction. Do I not?
The hose for the vacuum goes into the skimmer throat. Not into one of the pipes.

I haven't got a clue how to link to their threads, so search for

"Floc - vacuum to waste, why?"​

My understanding is that the floc won't last forever. Chlorine or UV or both break it down eventually, so waiting it out is potentially a solution albeit slow. good luck.

The term "floc" actually refers to the coagulated particulates at the bottom of the water. The "floc" at the bottom of the pool is layer of very fine particulates that have become bound together by attractive ionic forces; overtime, the floc will re-disperse back into the water column. As a layer on the bottom of the pool, it is easily disturbed and kicked back up into the pool volume by mechanical action. Most robots would simply just agitate the water around them causing the floc to disperse again.

Running a manual vacuum with a very slow suction speed is the best way to remove the floc and, as others have stated, you want the floc to go to waste (pumped out of the pool) not into the filter. Once inside the filter, it would likely clog it up and then the floc would slowly breakdown over time and the particulates would be released back into the water.

Reactions: Charlie Bezzina

The term "floc" actually refers to the coagulated particulates at the bottom of the water. The "floc" at the bottom of the pool is layer of very fine particulates that have become bound together by attractive ionic forces; overtime, the floc will re-disperse back into the water column. As a layer on the bottom of the pool, it is easily disturbed and kicked back up into the pool volume by mechanical action. Most robots would simply just agitate the water around them causing the floc to disperse again.

Running a manual vacuum with a very slow suction speed is the best way to remove the floc and, as others have stated, you want the floc to go to waste (pumped out of the pool) not into the filter. Once inside the filter, it would likely clog it up and then the floc would slowly breakdown over time and the particulates would be released back into the water.
If I understand correctly, I'm going to have to vacuum to waste either way if I don't wait until the floc breaks down and the particles disperse back in the water.

Attached is a picture of my skimmer & how the pool looks right now.

It's going to take me a while to gather all the materials I need to vacuum to waste, so I will make sure the water is not disturbed so everything will stay at the bottom.

Attachments

• 20220125_094555.jpg
    20220125_094555.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220125_094301.jpg
    20220125_094301.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 22
any way you can create suction with a garden hose? If you can get a hose going down hill and get it to start pulling, you can rig it up to a cleaning pole and start pulling it out slowly. I know, I know - redneck solution, but I get where you're coming from trying not to break the bank to correct the issue. Maybe even a small pump and then run another hose in to fill while you're pulling the floc out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
any way you can create suction with a garden hose? If you can get a hose going down hill and get it to start pulling, you can rig it up to a cleaning pole and start pulling it out slowly. I know, I know - redneck solution, but I get where you're coming from trying not to break the bank to correct the issue. Maybe even a small pump and then run another hose in to fill while you're pulling the floc out?
Thanks for the idea, but I have the money to Plumb the ability to vacuum to waste. I don't, however, have the money to give a pool company that I know will charge $500+. Also I know being able to vacuum to waste will help me out in the long run, rather than a pool company only helping me once.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Do you have a pool vacuum rig that fits your skimmer?

You need a skimmer plate, hose and vacuum head.

Your pool is going to turn green if you don't get chlorine into it and then you will have another problem. I would be pouring 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into the pool daily.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea, but I have the money to Plumb the ability to vacuum to waste. I don't, however, have the money to give a pool company that I know will charge $500+. Also I know being able to vacuum to waste will help me out in the long run, rather than a pool company only helping me once.
Sorry - wasn't inferring lack of money. Just trying to think what I would do in that situation. You'll use it once and probably never need it again so it made sense. Good luck!

Do you have a pool vacuum rig that fits your skimmer?

You need a skimmer plate, hose and vacuum head.

Your pool is going to turn green if you don't get chlorine into it and then you will have another problem. I would be pouring 5 ppm of liquid chlorine into the pool daily.
No, I do not have a vacuum rig, but I'm planning on getting that stuff when I plumb the vacuum to waste option.

I tested the water this morning and the chlorine level is fine, I still have my chlorine float in there. I'll make sure I test it daily so it doesn't go bad.

is this good?

You need a drain hose on the end of that pipe to direct the water away from the equipment area. Otherwise you will flood that area in a few minutes and likely damage your pump.

Sorry you flocked your pool up but glad to know you'll probably never do that again!!! :mrgreen:

If I understand correctly, I'm going to have to vacuum to waste either way if I don't wait until the floc breaks down and the particles disperse back in the water.

Attached is a picture of my skimmer & how the pool looks right now.

It's going to take me a while to gather all the materials I need to vacuum to waste, so I will make sure the water is not disturbed so everything will stay at the bottom.
Check your skimmer again. Most skimmers have two spots for suction but only one looks opened up on you picture. The one on the right looks plugged? See if you can feel suction from both or not.

Update-
The floc is all vacuumed out, however there are still tiny floc particles that got kicked up while vacuuming, there's not a whole lot but they are there, some aren't even visible. Is it okay to run the filter and let those particles filter out or should I let those sink then vacuum them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.