Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I seem to need a new SWCG, which is not at all surprising, given that this is its 11th season. I’m thankful it’s lasted this long.

The flow light turns red sometimes. My research indicates it could be a bad flow switch, but with the age of the SWG, it doesn’t seem to be worth fixing it. When the flow light is red, no chlorine is generated. (Duh). We just came back from an 8 day vacation. FC was 8 when we left and flow switch was green. It’s 3 today and flow switch was red. SWG either worked on and off over the 8 days or just gave up the ghost while we were gone.

My tentative plan is to use LC for the rest of the season and try to get a good deal over the winter. My questions for you folks are:
- I have an intellichor IC40. Should I get the same brand or is there a better one out there? If I get a different brand, will I have to get a new power supply? A new power supply doesn’t seem cost efficient.
- is a new SWG installation super easy? As in, could 2 ppl who are completely non-handy install it? I can’t overstate this non-handy thing. The last 2 years we’ve opened the pool ourselves. We’ve decided not to do that again bc both times we couldn’t figure out how to get our SWG plugged back in to the power supply bc it was awkwardly placed. We had to have the PS come out and spend literally 30 seconds plugging it back in and charging almost the full amount of the cost savings.
- will most PB install equipment purchased elsewhere, for a charge of course. The IC40 is $695 from PB. Do you predict I can still save over buying SWG elsewhere and having him install?
-any suggestions for where to buy a SWG off season at a good deal?

Thanks.

IC40s are expensive, but a good chuck of the cost is the transformer. Now that you have one, replacing the cell might be the most cost effective. You might call Pentair to confirm, but I believe replacing the cell does not inhibit the warranty, since it was originally installed professionally.

Here on Amazon they are $585. So you'll be paying 100 bucks for a service call and 10 minutes of work. Not unreasonable, he's got drive time to cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-5205...ocphy=9031745&hvtargid=pla-313808059809&psc=1

I'd wager a Pentair IC is about the easiest thing you could do yourself, but if you couldn't figure out how to plug it in, well, that's the easiest part of the task. You turn off all pumps. You turn off the breakers to your pool equipment just to be safe. You unscrew the two unions on each end of the IC40 and unplug it from the transformer. If I remember right, you have to twist that connector a bit. But it then pulls right out. Slip the old IC out from the plumbing, and then reverse all those steps. Clean the fittings and lube the o-rings before you slip the new one in. That's about it.

Do it on a Monday. If you get stuck, you might have a better chance of getting someone out there to put it all back together for you. Otherwise, your pool filtering will be offline until you can. Don't do it on a Friday or a weekend.

If any of that sounds daunting, then play is safe and let your pool guy do it.

Deb,

Is the $695 price from the pool builder installed? If so, that seems like a good deal as you will get Pentair's warranty.

I agree with Dirk... If you had trouble installing the last one, then it makes sense to have it done by the PB.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, would you know? Does Pentair limit the warranty if you're just replacing a dead cell? They encourage the end user to clean a cell (by providing instructions to do so in the manual). Cleaning a cell is virtually identical to replacing one. Would you only get 60 days if you replace a cell yourself? 'cause I was planning to do so when the time comes, and with Pentair's IC product, we need all the warranty we can get.

Dirk,

I do not know for sure, but assume that you would only get a full warranty if the cell is installed by a "professional".. there warranty policy has nothing to do with common sense, only to do with protecting their distribution line. :p

Jim R.

Jim, would you know? Does Pentair limit the warranty if you're just replacing a dead cell? They encourage the end user to clean a cell (by providing instructions to do so in the manual). Cleaning a cell is virtually identical to replacing one. Would you only get 60 days if you replace a cell yourself? 'cause I was planning to do so when the time comes, and with Pentair's IC product, we need all the warranty we can get.

Did a quick look at Pentair warranty page. Just cell replacement, without Power Center, does NOT require pro install and comes with 2 year warranty

Warranty - Pool and Spa Product Registration & Warranty - Pentair

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.