I screwed up.

Flccsiobhan1

Jun 7, 2020
Oswego, New York
I purchased a summer wave above ground 18 foot by 42 inch pool. I filled the pool and took the water to my local pool store. Ph 7.5
Free chlorine 0.9
Total alkalinity 92
Total chlorine 1
TDS 100
Calcium hardness 97
CYA 2
Optimizer 13
Phosphate 0

He first told me to add 4.5lbs of balance pak 100.
Then add stabilizer 100 granulated. Now he told me I can just throw it right in the pool. Now I’m reading not to. So I have tried to brush the bottom of the pool the best I can but still see the granules at the bottom. Did I just ruin my pool?
Also now I’m questioning everything he told me so I may as well continue with what he told me. But I have not proceeded.
He stated:
20 minutes after add 1 bag of smart shock
20 minutes after add 4oz of super soluble and 5 oz Of backup.

all products are bioguard brand
please help

Keep brushing it around. It doesn’t immediately ruin the pool but it could stain the liner.

How many gallons is your pool? We do things a lot differently here from how pool stores advise you to do - mainly because our first priority is keeping pools clear, not selling pool products. :)

As you’ve found, CYA needs to be dissolved and not just thrown in. You can be in there with it, so I would get in and brush. If you have a pool net with a fine mesh, you might be able to scoop up a lot of it. This next part is going to sound funny, but trust me! Run In same direction inside pool for several laps. This will act like a centrifuge, driving particles to center. Then you can scoop it up and stick it in a sock or nylon and squish to dissolve.

Next, check out my signature for links to Pool School and a highly recommended test kit. Let’s put you in charge of your own pool destiny!

I’m going to go with waiting forever to use Smart Shock, because I don’t know what is in it. We recommend plain old liquid chlorine.

In fact, I would take all that stuff back for a refund, and put the money towards a good test kit (not from the pool store). Get some liquid chlorine to use daily until your test kit arrives. Use Pool Math app to figure out how much chlorine to add, based on your estimated CYA number ( you’ll be able to test that with your test kit too.)

You basically have two options. You can treat the pool like a seasonal/temporary pool and get a simple test from Walmart or the like that tests for the presence of chlorine, and just keep some chlorine in it - if you ever get algae, you dump the water, scrub it down, and refill. Or you can get a full test kit and treat it like a standard pool, and test CYA, and FC with a FAS-DPD kit. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.