I need to SLAM & want to get it right.

Johns2k

May 1, 2020
St. Louis Metro Area
So we have had our pool for a couple months and I think I need to SLAM it.

I tested the Pool last week and the Chlorine level was at 0. Also, pH was high and so I took my water to the local pool shop to get it tested (I know try not to beat on me too much :)).
After testing they said that I had an issue with phosphates, causing my problems. Did what they said to remove them, come Monday same problem 0 Chlorine, pH still high been trying to reduce it.
So I'm done with the local shop, so I have a couple questions. Sorry for all the questions, any help would be appreciated.

I working on getting my pH down to 7.2, added some pH down this morning it was over 8, how long to wait before testing again/add more pH down?

My CYA is also at 0, the pool is clear, a little algae . Do I need to get the CYA up prior to the SLAM? From what I read this needs to be a 70.

Should you stay out of the pool during the SLAM process? Not an issue, but just wanted to check.

We have a 21K SWG Vinyl IG pool.

Have you added any form of CYA? Trichlor, dichlor, stabilizer, conditioner? I assume this is a new pool water with a fresh fill recently.

You need to add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine now. Then once you answer the above, you can start to add CYA.

I am surprised it is not a swamp -----

Start dissolving 30 ppm CYA aka stabilizer/conditioner using the sock method. Lower the pH to 7.2 with acid. Raise your FC to 12 ppm and follow the SLAM Process until you pass the three criteria.

pH drop a little last night, down to 7.4, sock is still full of stabilizer. Tested the FC & CC levels last night both times them were 2.5 & .5 respectively, this morning FC was 4 & CC stayed the same at .5 added more pH down. CYA test but nothing still showing, but I expected that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.