I need to replace my cracked Jandy Filter.

UGOSC

May 11, 2019
El Dorado Hills
I somehow have developed a crack in my Jandy filter and need to replace it.

I tried using epoxy to seal the inside and outside where the crack is (around the intake pipe at the top) but after a few weeks that is failing. Which I am not terribly surprised by.

I am a contractor who has built plenty of homes and have done plenty of plumbing, irrigation work so I am planning on doing the work myself. Especially since my neighbor just paid $350 an hour to replace a perfectly good pump with a variable pump. but any advice (even if its warning me not to do it myself) or support in what to buy to replace the current filter (Jandy Model CL460 filter) would be great and if anyone has done this work themselves insights would be great as well.

Thank you in advance

Pool info:
IG pool & Spa / Pebbletec / 17,000 gal.
Jandy Filter Model CL460 (Effective Filtration 460 / Flow Rate 150)
Jandy (model JHP1.5 Single Speed)
Polaris 380 pool cleaner
Taylor K2006

If you do not replace like for like you will need to do some replumbing. Not a big deal.

Bigger is better when it comes to filters. Your current one is sized well.

Do you feel it is a design flaw? That may guide you to another manufacturer.

Why not just buy the cracked part? They sell them separate or maybe try to get Jandy to send you one for free.

Not s
If you do not replace like for like you will need to do some replumbing. Not a big deal.

Bigger is better when it comes to filters. Your current one is sized well.

Do you feel it is a design flaw? That may guide you to another manufacturer.
I am not sure if its flaw or a mistake I made when I was tightening the clamp and not evening out the pressure.

Unfortunately, Jandy will not cover it as a warranty and will not sell it directly. They gave me a part number and after looking it up I found that this is a very common problem. Some people claim the bottom doesn't work with the older tops and the cost is about $400. So now I need to see how much a replacement would be and compare that to the bottom and new cartridges since my current cartridges are looking pretty old with all the bands broken so I will probably have to replace those in the next couple of years.

Yep the sum of the parts is way more than the whole! With $400 for the bottom, $200 for a set of cartridges. I think an issue might be Jandy no longer selling direct to consumers. I think that also counts with their filters. If so, I'd get something other than Jandy.

Thanks. I am thinking of getting the Pentair clean and clear 420. From what I understand its pretty equivalent and it supposedly will connect directly to the current piping. If anyone has info on this model please let me know. I think I can pick one up from Amazon for about $800. Which is $200 more than the bottom with new cartridges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.