I need some help automating my light switch.

allan1622

Dec 15, 2022
South Florida
The light in my pool is controlled by the pictured toggle switch. I haven’t tested the wires just yet, but at first glance I’m a bit confused with both red wires.

I’ve installed several “smart” switches, but they require a neutral. I think my best bet would be to just get something like this, however I would need to use a rocker switch. Surely the rocker switch would need to be heavy duty considering this switch (not pictured) has a metal plate over it?

Any easy ways to proceed? Normally I’m meticulous, but I couldn’t care less about aesthetics since this is in the garage. Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 16
Putting in a rocker switch with a plastic plate and a switchbot will be the easiest.

No reason that switch needs a metal cover plate.

Reactions: allan1622
Are you looking for simple “on/off” or do you need multiple switch throws to control colors or functions? If all you need is “on/off”. It should be pretty easy to test which side is hot, and then pull a neutral wire into the box to operate a smart switch.

Are you looking for simple “on/off” or do you need multiple switch throws to control colors or functions? If all you need is “on/off”. It should be pretty easy to test which side is hot, and then pull a neutral wire into the box to operate a smart switch.
Yep, it’s a singular bulb with no other features, so “on/off” is all I need.

Thank you. I’ll look into installing a neutral. Any experience with this?

Since the switch is right off of the panel it should be pretty simple. But if you don’t know what to do, get someone who does. This is a very simple job, but you need to know what you are doing anytime you are working with an electrical panel.

The light in my pool is controlled by the pictured toggle switch. I haven’t tested the wires just yet, but at first glance I’m a bit confused with both red wires.

I’ve installed several “smart” switches, but they require a neutral. I think my best bet would be to just get something like this, however I would need to use a rocker switch. Surely the rocker switch would need to be heavy duty considering this switch (not pictured) has a metal plate over it?

Any easy ways to proceed? Normally I’m meticulous, but I couldn’t care less about aesthetics since this is in the garage. Thank you all.
Just think of that red wire as one continuous piece of wire that was cut and a switch put in the opening, because that is basically what you have. In most cases the wire at the top of the switch will be "hot" and the other terminal not powered until the switch is flipped "On," but you need a voltage meter to determine that safely.

Adding a neutral should not be to difficult.

Also make sure the smart switch you decide to use is rated for the watts of your pool lights. If it's an on/off and not a dimmer you should be fine, but always good to check.

All the smart switches I have seen that don't require a neutral either are dimmers and may not be rated for watts of a pool light or require a hub because they use bluetooth from the hub to switch and wifi from hub out (this would not be my first choice).

I have smart switches controlling contactors for controlling my pump, stenner and pool light. The load and any spikes from inrush are isolated from the switches.

You can do a lot with simple smart switches. Here is what I did a few years ago.