I need help.

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
I closed my pool normal last October. Free cl between 25-30. Now i have a swamp. Throughout the pool season i run my chlorine level between 6-8 bc i have no trees and the sun chews up 2-3 ppm per day sometimes 4. This is the worst opening i have seen since using bbb. Also my 2 year old vinyl looks really faded in the shallow end. Could the use of bleach at my levels be fading it? On top of all that my pump motor sounds awful. Im debating getting a pool guy in to take care of everything. My piping has a leak as well. At this point i want to fill it in with concrete and put up a basketball hoop. I have been using bbb for 9 years. I out in 3 gallons of 6% bleach to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?

All the FC levels you discussed are dependent on CYA.

Swamp is the right word. And while you seem to have a few other challenges there with the pool, resolving the water issue is a DIY thing if you have the proper test kit, amount of chlorine, and time to watch the process. You've been with TFP for a while, you you should know about our SLAM Process process to eliminate algae. To perform a SLAM, you must have the right test kit. Do you have a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C? If so, please add it to your signature and post a full set of numbers. If not, that has to be step #1.

So let us know your status with testing and we'll help from there.

Ok here you go.
FC 9.5
Alk 50ppm
Cya less than 30
Ph above 8.0

I usually keep my cya around 50 for sun.
Also can someone please tell me if using higher levels of bleach can cause my vinyl liner to fade just after 2 years? And i cant find out how to edit my signature

Last edited:
OK -- must have been this morning if you are still testing a FC of 9.5.

As Pat said, you need to SLAM. But if you have a leak and your pump is failing, those two items need to be addressed first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to add some. As you had some when you closed, I would add 10 ppm worth using the sock method, and start your SLAM assuming a CYA of 30. Once the CYA is fully dissolved from the sock, wait 48 hours and test for it.

Merged threads - Marty - TFP Mod

Ok so i opened yesterday to a green swamp. I slammed when i got my filter running. FC has been acceptable. Now my water is very cloudy with dead algae i presume. My filter is not in the best shape so i think its struggling to filter the tiny dead algae particles. Is there any harm in using a product like sink and sweep which is a flocculent? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. Have you been back washing the filter since starting the SLAM if it rises 25% over it's clean pressure? It takes TIME to clear a green swamp. One day sure isn't gonna do it. I'd plan on a week or so sounds like. How are you testing the water? And no, we don't recommend floc.

I have backwashed 3 times in 24 hours. The first time my pressure had gone from 12 to 20. Now since yesterday afternoon it stays around 10-11.
This mornings test results:
FC 9.5
Cya still below 30.
Alk 50ppm
Ph 7.6
I added another 1/2 gallon of bleach so i should be about FC 12-13.
I test using a taylor test kit and fas dpd
My concern is that it does not appear any clearer since yesterday around 4pm and ive been running the filter non stop.

That's a nice pool you have there. As for the floc, it's basically a coagulating agent and can really make a mess of things, especially if it makes it to the sand. At that point, you need to change-out the sand. You don't want that. Looking at your first post, opening to a green swamp, you are doing quite well. The SLAM Process process can take a few days, but it works. We recommend taking a pic each day to really see the progress better. The major SLAM keys are:
- Brush often
- Inspect ANYWHERE that algae could hide. If you have a large light, pull it (power off) and inspect in the niche.
- Backwash when pressure increases by 25%
- And of course ...... maintain the SLAM/Shock FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

One thing that can delay a SLAM are improper testing of the FC or CYA. If you have any doubt about the CYA, double-check since that determines how much bleach to use and/or can impact how much sun gets through to the chlorine.
CYA Testing:

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.