I need help with algae!

Looking at the Poolmath calculator, it takes 2 gallons and 3 quarts (363 ounces) of liquid conditioner to increase CYA from 0 to 70. One gallon (130 ounces) should increase CYA by about 25 ppm. So depending on what you believed you had earlier, perhaps you use those numbers to determine where you should be at to this point.

It really varies from pool to pool. Just depends on how much chlorine each pool needs/uses. If your pool needs less SWG run time or percentage, that's great as long as you are always in the ideal FC range for your current CYA as listed on the Chlorine/CYA Chart. :)

Just remember, the OTO viewer is a convenient tool to check for the "presence" of chlorine, but doesn't separate FC & CC. In addition, it's simply not as accurate as your FAS-DPD powder & drops. When I want to know my FC level (each day), I use the FAS-DPD portion. For stabilizer, be careful to not go too high. Not sure about Paradise, but here around San Antonio it's been cloudy which would really change the CYA reading when looking at the black dot. So make sure it's a sunny day and test the same water sample several times by pouring back & forth from the mixing bottle to the viewing tube.

Once the stabilizer is dissolved, it takes about 24 hours for it to record. So if everything else was in order (dosage amount, testing, etc) then perhaps a little more is required. Confirm any future additions with the Poolmath calculator, and always double-check your pool size on the calculator to ensure it didn't switch back to a default size. Your FC will definitely drop on it's own as you turn-down the SWG or reduce pump run times, especially with summer quickly approaching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Humm. It just looks like some environmental debris that may have dropped or gotten blown into the pool. If you collect some of it, you could check to see how it feels. Algae would be more slimy. Those clumps may just be something you need to vacuum-up before the try to break-down and consume chorine or later try to generate algae. Just a thought anyways. You might also watch water circulation in that area. Some of those shallow entry areas don't have the greatest water circulation and the water is usually warmer. I generally have to sweep/brush my stepping areas each day at least once. Keep an eye on your FC consumption each day as well. If you find FC dropping more than 4ppm in 24 hrs, you might have a need to do an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure there's not a heavy organic load in the water. Hope that helps.

If I start the slam again is it safe for the kids to swim in?
Absolutely! Just refer to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). As long as you don't exceed the FC SLAM level for your current CYA, let them swim. Give them some brushes too. Make it a scrub party. :)

I turned the swg off last time I did the slam. Is that what you recommend?
Yes. SWGs simply aren't designed to crank-out that much FC on a consistent basis.
I almost feel like I'm having trouble getting the swg to keep the FC stable and that it would be easier to not use it.
That may be a real possibility ... for now anyways. If you do a new SLAM, hopefully it will be a quick one and then you can simply follow the "Non-SWG Pools" portion of the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Your CYA is probably elevated because you were using the SWG, so make sure to increase and maintain the FC at the correct level listed on that chart. You can do that for a while to see how things are going. It's possible the SWG is simply not working properly or showing signs of failure. Doing manual bleach additions might be a good way to confirm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.