I need help please!!

@cowboycasey Okay so here is an update on things.......
1. Pump still running 24 hours because the old timer that was used was removed. Would it be okay if I run the pump from 6:30am until 9:00pm each day and then turn the SWCG and the VS Pump off manually?

2. FCL update: 2 days ago, I ran the pump at 1400rpm for 24 hours and the SWCG was at 62% and the FCL was 0.77. I turned the pump up to 1800rpm yesterday with the SWCG at 62% and tested this morning and my FCL this morning was 2.61 with my TCL at 3.16. What should be the next move now?

I still have to get my Calcium Hardness up and my CYA was around 60 so I'll get that up as well. PH and ALK looked good. Based on the chlorine numbers, what should be the VS pump and SWCG schedule look like? Thanks for all the help!!!

Sounds like cowboycasey has got you - you're definitely on the right track and getting there. You'll love having the SWCG doing the sanitizing work for you once you get it dialed in to the right runtime/percentage to maintain your levels.

My two cents- yes, you can definitely turn things on/off for the time being. Just make sure to turn your VS pump on first, then the SWCG. Reverse that when turning off. Sounds like you haven't quite figured out how fast the VS needs to run to trigger the flow switch. The actual pump speed has nothing to do with how much chlorine is generated - you just need to trigger the flow valve of the SWCG so it knows there's enough flow. I would suspect at both 1400 and 1800 there's plenty of flow for the SWCG.

Good luck!

Reactions: mknauss
Sounds like cowboycasey has got you - you're definitely on the right track and getting there. You'll love having the SWCG doing the sanitizing work for you once you get it dialed in to the right runtime/percentage to maintain your levels.

My two cents- yes, you can definitely turn things on/off for the time being. Just make sure to turn your VS pump on first, then the SWCG. Reverse that when turning off. Sounds like you haven't quite figured out how fast the VS needs to run to trigger the flow switch. The actual pump speed has nothing to do with how much chlorine is generated - you just need to trigger the flow valve of the SWCG so it knows there's enough flow. I would suspect at both 1400 and 1800 there's plenty of flow for the SWCG.

Good luck!
I appreciate the feedback!! That is the thing......getting this dialed in. At 1400rpms, I had it producing chlorine but it was very minimal. After turning the VS up to 1800 last night, I am up over 2ppm of Free Chlorine now. I just don't want to run this at 1800rpms for 24 hours unless you feel like I could do that.......was looking to cut back on electric after having a one speed pump for years.

I appreciate the feedback!! That is the thing......getting this dialed in. At 1400rpms, I had it producing chlorine but it was very minimal. After turning the VS up to 1800 last night, I am up over 2ppm of Free Chlorine now. I just don't want to run this at 1800rpms for 24 hours unless you feel like I could do that.......was looking to cut back on electric after having a one speed pump for years.
I'll let @cowboycasey chime in - but I suspect the change in free chlorine had more to do with when you tested, how long the SWCG ran, weather conditions etc. The SWCG either runs at the set % or it doesn't run - as long as there's enough minimum flow. The whole idea behind the VS pump is to be able to run it slower and save energy - so I get you there! Is there a visual indicator on your SWCG that it's running? Is it a clear cell where you can see the bubbles being generated? Should just take some experimenting to lower or increase your pump speed, wait 30 sec - and see if the SWCG triggers on/off. Then add the 200 RPM safety buffer and that's the min you need to keep the SWCG happy.

Reactions: mknauss
I'll let @cowboycasey chime in - but I suspect the change in free chlorine had more to do with when you tested, how long the SWCG ran, weather conditions etc. The SWCG either runs at the set % or it doesn't run - as long as there's enough minimum flow. The whole idea behind the VS pump is to be able to run it slower and save energy - so I get you there! Is there a visual indicator on your SWCG that it's running? Is it a clear cell where you can see the bubbles being generated? Should just take some experimenting to lower or increase your pump speed, wait 30 sec - and see if the SWCG triggers on/off. Then add the 200 RPM safety buffer and that's the min you need to keep the SWCG happy.
Ok thanks!
Yeah, so I tested at 6pm last night and it was at 0.77 after running the pump at 1400rpms......so then I turned the pump up to 1800rpms
I then tested this morning at 7am after running the pump at 1800rpms and thats when I got the 2.61 FC reading.

It is a clear cell......If I turn the pump off, there is a cloudy haze that forms in the cell, so thats when I realized it was producing some chlorine. I just dont know how to see if the SWCG triggers on or off. There isn't a light that turns off if it is creating chlorine.......just a light for on/off, low flow, and system error.

Ok thanks!
Yeah, so I tested at 6pm last night and it was at 0.77 after running the pump at 1400rpms......so then I turned the pump up to 1800rpms
I then tested this morning at 7am after running the pump at 1800rpms and thats when I got the 2.61 FC reading.

It is a clear cell......If I turn the pump off, there is a cloudy haze that forms in the cell, so thats when I realized it was producing some chlorine. I just dont know how to see if the SWCG triggers on or off. There isn't a light that turns off if it is creating chlorine.......just a light for on/off, low flow, and system error.
If you have a low flow error light - just keep decreasing the pump flow rate (when you're sure SWCG is on and generating) until you see the low flow alarm. That's when you know the low flow sensor triggered the SWCG to turn off. That's your min RPM - add 200 to it and run the VS at that speed when you want to generate chlorine.

I don't know how you're testing for chlorine to that accuracy - but if I believe the quick google search stating that your unit produces 1.65 lbs/day of chlorine - then running at 62% for 13 hours should bump your FC by 3.2 according to poolmath in your 19,000 gal pool. With testing and volume variation - sounds reasonable that you bumped up around 2ppm overnight.

Reactions: Newdude
If you have a low flow error light - just keep decreasing the pump flow rate (when you're sure SWCG is on and generating) until you see the low flow alarm. That's when you know the low flow sensor triggered the SWCG to turn off. That's your min RPM - add 200 to it and run the VS at that speed when you want to generate chlorine.

I don't know how you're testing for chlorine to that accuracy - but if I believe the quick google search stating that your unit produces 1.65 lbs/day of chlorine - then running at 62% for 13 hours should bump your FC by 3.2 according to poolmath in your 19,000 gal pool. With testing and volume variation - sounds reasonable that you bumped up around 2ppm overnight.
Okay.....I had it running at 900rpms last week and that wasn't triggering the low flow light......but it also wasnt producing chlorine......not sure if that was because it was new and it had to cycle through or what. I'm thinking around 1600-1800rpms is what will be producing a good amount of chlorine.....not too sure though. I'm just hoping at that speed, it doesn't shoot the electric bill up.

I make the same amount of chlorine at 1200 or 1800 rpm..

1 thing to know.. Always raise your FC using liquid chlorine.. Your CYA should be 70 or 80 and your FC should be about 5 to 7 and then dial in your FC hours for the day.. SWG suck at raising FC, they keep them level...

I raise mine to 7 then keep it there.. I just raised my run time from 2 hours to 4 hours this weekend...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I make the same amount of chlorine at 1200 or 1800 rpm..

1 thing to know.. Always raise your FC using liquid chlorine.. Your CYA should be 70 or 80 and your FC should be about 5 to 7 and then dial in your FC hours for the day.. SWG suck at raising FC, they keep them level...

I raise mine to 7 then keep it there.. I just raised my run time from 2 hours to 4 hours this weekend...
Thanks man! So what is your run time schedule and rpms look like each day?

I run at about 1800 rpm for 4 hours a day now at 25%, when the water was cold and my pool was covered I ran 2 hours at 25% :)

I run at about 1800 rpm for 4 hours a day now at 25%, when the water was cold and my pool was covered I ran 2 hours at 25% :)
That's goals right there!!
I have a paid Pool Math subscription but not sure how to attach the results from this morning so here they are......I have heard different ranges for levels. Hoping these levels are good
I ran the pump and SWCG overnight again at 1800rpm and SWCG at 62.5%
6/9/21 (1800rpm) morning 62.5%
FCL: 3.61
TCL: 3.61
PH: 7.5
ALK: 109
CH: 103
CYA: 58

If you are still at 3.6 FC you really need to raise it to 7 or 8 and let the SWG keep it there... they really suck at rising FC...

@cowboycasey @PieterS So here are my test results from yesterday to today. Any ideas/suggestions?
Both days I had the VS pump running 24 hours at 1800rpms and the SWCG at 75%

June 9th morning
CH: 99

I then added 20 pounds of Calcium Hardness increaser and 2 1/2 pounds of CYA

June 10th this morning
FCL: 1.04
TCL: 1.56
PH: 7.4
ALK: 97
CH: 96
CYA: 81

So here are my test results from yesterday to today. Any ideas/suggestions?
I have a SWCG. Both days I had the VS pump running 24 hours at 1800rpms and the SWCG at 75%

June 9th morning
CH: 99

I then added 20 pounds of Calcium Hardness increaser and 2 1/2 pounds of CYA

June 10th this morning
FCL: 1.04
TCL: 1.56
PH: 7.4
ALK: 97
CH: 96
CYA: 81

Dave,

My guess is that you have algae, even if you can't see it yet..

I suggest that you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Do you know the rated output of your Solax cell?? Most 40K cells produce about 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas.. No sure about yours.. If we knew that we could do some calculations.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dave,

My guess is that you have algae, even if you can't see it yet..

I suggest that you do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Do you know the rated output of your Solax cell?? Most 40K cells produce about 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas.. No sure about yours.. If we knew that we could do some calculations.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok thanks Jim......I saw you have the ColorQ test as well. Was hoping that it wasn't that test kit that was inaccurate. Should I add anything to the pool before doing the overnight test tonight?

I believe it is right around 1.65 lbs/day for the Solax

Tend to agree with Jim - assuming your test kit is working correctly, running at 75% for 24 hours should have generated plenty of chlorine. If you're still dropping in chlorine level, something else (algae?) is consuming it. Per cowboycasey - use liquid chlorine to bring your levels up quickly, SWCGs are not very good at doing so.

I would at least bring your pool up to the 7 or 8 ppm level using liquid chlorine before attempting to do the OCLT. You're already too low in chlorine, you want to try and stay ahead of anything that might be brewing.

You did mention you had reagents for the FAS-DPD chlorine test coming - those will be a good check against your current testing kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.