I need help clearing my pool

Merc,
I note you're raising your CYA for your SWG already.
So...
1. Your water is clear, right?
2. Your CC is 0.5 or less, right?
3. And you've passed the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, right?

If all 3 are true, then let your FC drift down to below 10, and then check your pH. That's important.
If it's not in the correct range, adjust it.
If you haven't already, consider using borates (BORAX). Read about it in Pool School.

Sounds like you're making great progress. :-D

AlanPaul,

I have passed the tests. I had poured so much chlorine in my pool that it is still high. I have not been running my SWG to allow the chlorine to run down. I had way over 50ppm chlorine when I shocked it. I know this is WAY too much but I was shocking the best I could. I had thought the algae was alive when actually it had dies and was floating around the pool allowing it to be cloudy. I have since vacuumed out all of the particles and junk and changed the sand in my filter. The pool is clear except for the brown stains on the vinyl liner which I will live with until I decide to change the liner.

Thanks for the input and help.

I just added acid to reduce the PH and when the chlorine becomes and acceptable level I will be happy.

We are having some rain today so I will not be at the pool too much LOL. I really appreciate the help and advice I have received here. The pool water is really clear and except for the stains on my liner it looks so beautiful. The best improvement I made was changing the filter sand out.

A BIG THANX!!
:party:

Merc Sof said:
Just tested my water again and these are the results:

FC 10.5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 90
CYA 50

Would it be safe to swim at this FC level? Yes. It's well below shock level for 50 mCYA

I want to raise my CYA but I also want to wait until my FC is down close to 4.Why? By the time the CYA is dissolved, the FC will be down anyway.

Richard320 said:
Merc Sof said:
Just tested my water again and these are the results:

FC 10.5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 90
CH 90
CYA 50

Would it be safe to swim at this FC level? Yes. It's well below shock level for 50 mCYA

I want to raise my CYA but I also want to wait until my FC is down close to 4.Why? By the time the CYA is dissolved, the FC will be down anyway.

I was reading where you want your CYA in a certain range to keep help with the chlorination. Am I not understanding correctly?

jblizzle said:
There is no reason to wait for the FC to lower so you can raise the CYA. Are you only running the SWG right now?

yes only sunning the SWG...I had to cut the output down to about 15% so my chlorine would start dropping faster. I had poured way too much liquid bleach in to try to clear out the algae which was already dead ....I just needed to get the dead stuff out of my pool. I have that taken care of and now waiting for my FC to drop to about 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.