I need help and don't know where to start.

MeanOrNice

May 21, 2020
Los Angeles
Hello,

1st post for me. I'll try to keep the backstory brief...I tend to over-explain things. I just joined today, but my pool knowledge is severely limited. I kind of understand basic concepts. Bought a house Oct 2018 and inherited the pool guy...he's good, but I would like to know as much as I can so I can hopefully do it myself to save money, especially now since I'm not working. I am fairly handy around the house.

Important details about the pool - About 13k gallons, I think it's a plaster pool because it has small tile all over, Sta-Rite System 2 PLDE 48, Century 1HP motor, Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Max-E Therm 200. There is a smaller Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1/2 HP motor for a fountain feature in the pool.

My issue is, I think the jets are clogged. Things are getting cloudy and I think nothing is being filtered, lots of Crud in the pool...it does not help that we have 30 ficus trees lined up on 2 sides of the pool constantly dropping dead leaves and fruit. It hasn't turned green...yet. This happens many times through the season, which is longer than most because I'm in Los Angeles.

I've reached this site and watched a few videos about how to clean my DE filter (it's a cartridge DE filter, right?), but I don't think my pool has a backwash. I have taken the filter out and hosed it off before, but the pool guy got mad at me because I did not add DE. I have some DE now, but I would like to know how to unclog my system.

Here's a pic of the brains.

IMG_7234.jpg

There is a valve switch that I have no idea what it diverts to.

IMG_7229.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I just don't know where to start. Thank you!

Let me get you all taught up on how to care for your DE filter first:

I think you need to get your learning sorted out so you know how much DE to add so your filter can do it's job like the champ it is.

While you are working on that you also need to get a good test kit: Test Kits Compared The best bang for you buck will the be the TF-100 XL as I need think you need to SLAM your pool as seen here: SLAM Process

What I think has happened is you are right on the edge of an algae bloom :( The pool tends to get cloudy before you see the green so........that plus your filter not working like it should points to algae trouble starting.

Until you get your test kit you should add a gallon of LIQUID chlorine (10%) found at Walmart in the pool section and may be called "pool shock" or a pool store. Make sure your pump is running when you add it to help it all mix in good. You should do this each day while you are waiting for your test kit to get there. This will keep the pool from getting worse.

Welcome! :wave:

Cloudiness isn't the filter's fault.

You have algae. And you're at a stalemate right now where the chlorine is killing the algae at the speed it reproduces so you have a neverending supply of dead bleached algae which clouds the water and clogs the filter. DE filters work too good when it comes to algae. They clog real fast.

What you need is the SLAM Process
To do it, you need a proper test kit. And a bunch of bleach. Dealer Locator | HASA Pool can help you find a place that sells full-strength bleach in returnable jugs. If your pool guy has yellow and orange milk crates in his truck, this is what they are.

That valve in the second picture probably goes to the main drain.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Here's an update: I took out the filter, it was dark green. I throughly hosed it off. I found the Pentair manual for my model and it said I needed to add 7.2 pounds of D.E.

I added 7.2 pound of DE. The water became clear, but still green.

What's troubling me now is, everything I've read says I need to backwash the system. I don't think my system has one.

In that image from my post, that black valve on the left. Currently, the handle is in the 6 o'clock position, which makes the 3 jets in the pool push out water. When I turn off the pump and put the handle into the noon position to engage that other pipe, the jets stop working, but this black latch thing in my pool makes a rattle/noise. I don't believe water comes out of it. What is this thing and what is happening?

IMG_7286.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.