I need confirmation

Jun 5, 2009
26k vinyl liner pool. The new liner is on the second season. Ph is 7.6, ALK 90, CYA 50. I just drained & refilled about 18 inches to help keep the CYA from getting too high. My DPD test is telling me I have 0.5 FC and 2.5 CC. I know I need to shock. Here is my dilemma. The Pool Math app is telling me to add 5 gals of 10% chlorine to raise CL to SLAM @ 20ppm. When I performed the drawdown yesterday, I could see where the liner is already beginning to fade from chlorine exposure. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's not going to cause excessive fade damage. I have been putting 10% liquid in the pool at about 2.5 gals per dose and the CC would come down to as low as 1.0. Then without a heavy bathing load or debris from storms getting in the pool, it would come back up. I'm pretty sure I'm just not putting in the required amount of bleach, but I am just hesitant. Should I just put the 5 gals in and not worry about the liner.

Follow the SLAM Process.
You should add liquid chlorine in a pencil sized stream at the pool return with the pump running. Then brush that area to be sure the chlorine is well dispersed.
What test kit are you using?

Some liners are printed with organic inks that fade easily. If that is the case with your liner it will fade over time, regardless of how much chlorine you use. The pool needs to be sanitized to be safe, and it sounds like you have been under chlorinating the pool and still have some liner fade. Since its going to happen anyway, may as well have a safe, clean pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Follow the SLAM Process.
You should add liquid chlorine in a pencil sized stream at the pool return with the pump running. Then brush that area to be sure the chlorine is well dispersed.
What test kit are you using?
This is the kit I purchased many years ago. Of course, I have reordered the Taylor reagents quite a few times and even replaced the chlorine test cylinder a few times. I believe it is the predecessor to the current kit that is highly regarded on this site. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
Appears to be! Great. As long as the reagents are fresh, you are good to go. Be sure to use the FAS-DPD test kit for your FC/CC testing.

Some liners are printed with organic inks that fade easily. If that is the case with your liner it will fade over time, regardless of how much chlorine you use. The pool needs to be sanitized to be safe, and it sounds like you have been under chlorinating the pool and still have some liner fade. Since its going to happen anyway, may as well have a safe, clean pool.
Alas, I agree with what you are saying. No doubt, the safety of my 4 and 5-year-old granddaughters who want to swim every day is the most critical consideration. It's just disheartening to replace a vinyl liner that lasted 16 years with a new one and it is obviously an inferior product. I researched extensively and found out they quit making the liners the way they used to and the pool company that changed it out for me told me this one would not come close to the life I got from the original one. Thanks for the reply......it's actually what I needed to hear.

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.