I need advice on what to "attack" first ...

So, that's it? Use flocculant and no additional help with figuring out if my sand filter is working properly .... very nice.
There's no reason to think that it isn't working properly, that was the point. A little sand during backwash in the pool is acceptable. It's in the manual. You have not described a situation that would indicate an issue. I had to SLAM my pool last year for almost 2 weeks in July just to get rid of the haze. My pool is smaller than yours. Are you cleaning the pool regularly? And using a vacuum to scrub? Constantly adding chlorine? Frustrating I know.

If you really believe there is something wrong with the sand filter, possible causes of sand ending up in your pool could be:
sand is too small
too much sand in the filter
or the skimmer is broken

And if it isn't any of them, are you turning off the pump before switching to baskwash?

Last edited:
I can't help with improving sand filter efficacy. I know some add diatomaceous earth to it. Basically, you are "pre-clogging" it. It will filter better, but the pressure increase will occur more quickly.

So, that's it? Use flocculant and no additional help with figuring out if my sand filter is working properly .... very nice.
I don't think there is a soul here that WOULDN'T help someone, even if they had used Floc. We are all volunteer crew. I, for one had a busy day, and a 4.5 hour drive.

When you replaced the sand, was that after you used the Floc?

As @duraleigh said, and I agree, I don't think there is anything wrong with your sand filter, they just take longer to clear the pool. Granted you are on week 3. I have a larger pool (30K) and same size filter. Mine took 10 days +/-, but I stayed home and checked every two hours! That frequency absolutely makes a difference! I know, wife thought I was NUTZO. But, I was staring down a busy July 4th weekend. I made it the Friday before. My best advice is to stay the course, and continue SLAM as often as you can. From your pictures, it is obvious you have made significant progress.

One other thought, your pictures are all from the same angle. Do you have a ladder? Is it Stainless? If so, take it out and scrub the inside of the tubes with bleach solution and leave it out until your slam is done. Also, the seam around the stairs, in my pool, was harboring algae. I had to get in with a toothbrush and scrub all around the liner hold down strips. Do you have a light? I would remove the light and scrub behind it. Take off the weir doors and clean, sometimes it is in there in the foam. It is entirely possible you have some algae that you haven't caught and scrubbed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.