I messed up!

MadelineC

Jun 2, 2021
Davison, MI
so, I’m a bit lost on what to do wand could use some help. We didn’t store our pool (Summer Waves 20x48 vinyl) pool over the winter. (First mistake.) I tried getting all of the fallen leaves and algae out as best I could. The water was really cloudy after adding all my water. A local pool store said I needed to use PhosFree to clear it up. It only worked a bit. Then I put flocculant in it. The water was really clear after, but as I have a cartridge filter, vacuuming to waste isn’t an option. I’ve tried SLAMing and vacuuming the bottom pool to get the remaining particles out with no luck. What can I do (aside from vacuuming) to get the bottom of the pool clean???

The only way to remove the floc goo from the bottom of your pool is vacuuming. I'd get a new pool hose to use as waste, disconnect the return hose from the filter and put the filter end inside the pool (so water doesn't come out from it), remove the cartridge and connect the new "waste" hose to the filter. Whatever you vacuum with this setup will go to waste.
It is very likely you will need at least to clean your cartridge if not replace it. FLOC and cartridges don't go well together.

SLAM will only take care of organic nasties, such as the algae turning your water green, but wont do any good in removing the FLOC.

As a pool owner FLOC is not something you want on your pool. As a pool owner a pool store is not somewhere you want to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadelineC
Thanks! So I have a question. The return hose would be the black hose, correct? Or is it the gray one? I have plenty of filters lol. Also, I have a skooba vacuum that I’ve never used, along with an aqua blaster and one that attaches to a garden hose and has a mesh bag.

This is what the bottom of my pool looks like (see second pic)

There is some reflection of the tree, but the other dark stuff is the particles that aren’t currently being picked up by the vacuum.

Attachments

• 207F5DE5-B396-4988-956B-B6FEAD290743.jpeg
    207F5DE5-B396-4988-956B-B6FEAD290743.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 71FC059F-7BD5-4B3C-B9A6-FF1AB0630D09.jpeg
    71FC059F-7BD5-4B3C-B9A6-FF1AB0630D09.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 31
I don't think a mesh bag will remove the FLOC. You need it gone from the pool. Just recirculating it wont do.

I believe the return is the black hose, but I can't tell for sure... you should be able to feel the water coming out of it when the pump is on.
Also, your pump is not what I would call powerful, so you are going to need a lot of patience when vacuuming to ensure you remove that stuff from the bottom. This is one of those cases that slower is faster.

Are you able to test your water with an accurate and reliable test kit? Check Test Kits Compared.

I have a Clorox test kit, but I know that’s not what TFP members recommend.

I also used test strips before TFP. I was hard to distinguish between different tones of the same color. I once used 4 strips at the same time and each one gave me a slightly different result.

You cannot disconnect the return hose as the pool will drain down to that level, which is the same as your suction, and thus the pump will be starved.
Your best bet with your size pool and the equipment you have is to drain the pool to 18" or so, pulling from the bottom of the pool. Then refill, let sit, and do it again.

You cannot disconnect the return hose as the pool will drain down to that level, which is the same as your suction, and thus the pump will be starved.
Your best bet with your size pool and the equipment you have is to drain the pool to 18" or so, pulling from the bottom of the pool. Then refill, let sit, and do it again.
Disconnect the return hose at the filter. Take the hose, still attached to the pool return, and secure it up, possibly throwing it over the side of and into the pool. That prevents the pool from draining out the return port.

Attach the new waste hose to filter outlet, remove the filter, and now you can vacuum to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry. I fail to explain my line to thought which included raising the pump/filter to a little higher than the water line.

Anyway. Hear the expert, I'm sure he helped more people.

Disconnect the return hose at the filter. Take the hose, still attached to the pool return, and secure it up, possibly throwing it over the side of and into the pool. That prevents the pool from draining out the return port.

Attach the new waste hose to filter outlet, remove the filter, and now you can vacuum to waste.
The black hose or the gray one? Or do I need a whole new hose? I’m a little confused

NO. Please don't add clarifier.

Do you have an idea on where you pH, TA and CH levels are? Unbalanced chemistry can turn water cloudy.

No clarifier. The floc was enough. No more products like that. Stick to liquid chlorine or regular bleach to maintain the proper FC level. It's the easiest and most efficient. Always balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Since you just ordered your test kit today, don't worry about anything other than just keeping some chlorine in the water. No sense guessing with those strips. Once you get the kit, we'll walk you through the tests and give you pinpoint accurate advice. :goodjob:

So… TC (Total Chlorine) should be equal to FC (Free Chlorine) plus CC (Combined Chlorine/Chloramines - aka Used Chlorine).

On your test results you can see why people here don’t trust test strips. Your FC is much higher than your TC, what is just impossible.

• Haha
Reactions: MITBeta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.