I knew I was Pool Stored when...

I was fortunately one of those who was never pool stored. I found the site while looking up equipment on the PB's proposal. Figured out I was getting decent equipment and stopped there. Fast forward like 8 weeks and I started thinking "I have no idea how to take care of a pool. I wonder if that pool site I found earlier has anything about how to care for your pool on there?" My PB handled the first month of maintenance and then I took over. Had my TF-100 and had already practiced several times with it. First pool water test went fairly well. Posted my numbers and @mknauss responded with what to adjust and it's been cake since.

I'm starting my 4th pool season with this thing and I tell people all the time, I don't know what algae looks like. Never had it. Since I keep the pool open year round, it's easy enough to keep the FC and acid adjusted throughout the winter. This place has been a God send. I remember my pops always cursing our above ground pool and having to miss out on swimming because the pool was being shocked. Chemistry wise, mine has been swimmable since the day I took it over from the PB! Temps are another story.

I'll have to show her TFP should something ever happen to me.
My wife has no desire to learn how to deal with the pool. She always tells me "thank goodness you enjoy doing that because I couldn't". I tell her "if anything happens to me, you just need to get on TFP and start asking questions... Don't go to the pool store and don't hire a pool boy!"

--Jeff

We have fortunately never been pool stored (a new term I just learned thanks to TFP!) This is because I have an engineer for a husband who likes to do everything himself 😅 We only go to the pool store for occasional water tests and specific purchases (cleaning robot, solar blanket). Everything else we get from either Walmart, Lowes, or Amazon.

On my last trip to a pool store to stock up on acid (they are the cheapest), I overheard the employee telling someone that “chlorine won’t kill algae, it only bleaches it out so you can’t see it. Only algaecide kills algae!“ It was all I could do not to interject!
When I was first starting out last year I was told this too by someone behind the counter after I had been looking for advice on my meager sand filter. I have a bestway oval pool in the back and they tried to sell me a Hayward filter to replace it. Turns out none of it needed replaced and all the guy's recommendations were garbage. The "only algecide kills algae" always cracks me up. Eventually I'm gonna get a non bestway above ground pool but currently have other priorities so just keeping this one chugging a long while the kids are still younger. it's a 24x12 so a decent size oval for the kids right now.

I was lucky enough to find TFP from the get-go. I had my TF-Pro Salt before the liner went in and we filled with water. So many people here helped me through the design, planning, and build out of an owner-pool build. I had never even owned a pool before, and yet here I was building my own. It takes a sick kind of person to attempt that, but TFP was the perfect remedy.

Just last week I stopped in one of my local pool stores because I needed CYA.

<walk in>
Junior Retail Associate: 'Hi, welcome to Pool Store. How can I help you?'
Me: "Hi, I need to pick up some CYA."
JRA: "I'm sorry, what?"
Me: "uhh, psya-psyaneuric acid?"
JRA: "......"
Me: "Stabilizer?"
JRA: "OH! Yes, right this way."
Me: <picks up 5lb bag of dry CYA off shelf>
Senior Retail Associate: "You really should get the liquid stuff, it's better"
Me: "It's way more expensive, isn't it?"
SRA: "Yeah..."
Me: "I'll stick with this, thanks."

I Know More Than You Season 4 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Me: <picks up 5lb bag of dry CYA off shelf>
Senior Retail Associate: "You really should get the liquid stuff, it's better"
Me: "It's way more expensive, isn't it?"
SRA: "Yeah..."
Me: "I'll stick with this, thanks."
I happened in on a company pow-wow when I needed CYA after filling. They were out of granuals and said they stopped carrying liquid because it never got the results they expected.

'That's because it's mostly water and the goods clump up on the bottom. It's nearly impossible to get a correct dose with less than a full jug'

*all 6 of them listening intently*
giphy (3) (3).gif

Oh lord… seeing as I have owned a pool for 18 months and this is the first I’ve heard of being “Pool Stored” I am absolutely a victim here lol. Not again! Having trouble with high phosphates and they suggested PR-10000. Good move? I won’t buy it from L*****s

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Oh lord… seeing as I have owned a pool for 18 months and this is the first I’ve heard of being “Pool Stored” I am absolutely a victim here lol. Not again! Having trouble with high phosphates and they suggested PR-10000. Good move? I won’t buy it from L*****s
If you keep adequate fc levels
FC/CYA Levels phosphates aren’t generally an issue. Cuz who cares how much algae food you have if algae can’t thrive/survive in your pool. They don’t make algae occur. Most here don’t even know whether or not they have phosphates much less the level.

I have used PR-10000 and it is one of the good products for removing Phosphates. I thought of it like insurance and my pool does not need Phosphates so for $30 I thought it was worth to remove something that may give algae a head start and i'm away and my SWCG losses power. At $6/gal for LC in my area even a quick slam gets pricey. Just my 2 cents.

whenever I buy something new, I google the Crud out of it first. Found out about TFP before I ever entered Leslie's.
I occasionally go in there as it's the only place to get 12% I've found. I usually end up waiting to buy a 4 pack case behind someone who is facing a CVS-long receipt of chemicals after having their water tested there.
We should make TFP business cards and surreptitiously hand 'em out in store to the unsuspecting....

I usually end up waiting to buy a 4 pack case behind someone who is facing a CVS-long receipt of chemicals after having their water tested there.
But. But. They said its a free test. *cash register beeps* That'll be $179 Sir. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It started when we move to the country side last year and in a house. (used to live in a big city and in a condo). Been telling my husband for 12 years that i dream of having our own pool (everytime we go on vacation pool is a must in our accomodation) and when 2-3 years before moving we talked that we should start saving so when opportunity to move comes we have funds for a pool.

When we bought the house we have a good size piece of land and we both agreed we can get a pool now. And we both dont have any idea at all about pools. We went to the first store too pricey, second store little less (only 2 stores and both 25 mins away from our place.) I wanted 18” my husband wanted 24” we compromised on 21” aboveground round.

so we purchased, installers came, i watched them although I dont know a thing about it. Then came all the recommended chemicals i needed even if we have swg. Opening it after installation chemicals cost me $400.

After that everytime my water turns to a slightly different color i run to the store have it tested and buy chemicals they said i needed. I had enough its like endless spending.

Googled about chemicals and test strips and maintaining water. I found TFP, at first i didnt signed up, i didnt see the need as i will just do some readings on threads of different topics. Then first winter came and the pool had a buckle/bend and i panicked. Its only been less than a year then this happenend. In my head im computing costs! Pool store wants me to replace everything out of pocket. to replace wall, liner, uninstall then install and water delivery will cost me a fortune and im not prepared for this big of an expense and they told me even if i replace everything its something that can happen again because of ground heaving /Mother Nature. So i can replace everything but it can happen again next year!

I felt defeated and discouraged. Thinking i was so wrong to think i can have a pool. Then i remembered TFP not only deals with pool water chemistry and maintenance, this time i signed up created my profile and told my story.

A lot of people was helpful, assured me that i really didnt need to change a thing unless it becomes worst. Its not as bad as I think or what the pool store was telling me. I was so relieved!

Everyone is so helpful specially @Mdragger88 @Casey @Bperry who really took the time to have a conversation with me on the thread to advise me and encourage me. @wireform @AJ.A @VinnyinNJ too your words were reassuring☺️

Now im in the process of opening up my pool, water is clear just a little bit foggy then will balance my chemicals. All thanks to TFP I dont panic and run to the store for every thing. I go to TFP first to read and if im not sure i will post and ask for advice.

Last edited:
If you keep adequate fc levels
FC/CYA Levels phosphates aren’t generally an issue. Cuz who cares how much algae food you have if algae can’t thrive/survive in your pool. They don’t make algae occur. Most here don’t even know whether or not they have phosphates much less the level.
Haha yes I have been on here for hours since that post and now realize that. Test kit ordered and I finally think I know what I’m doing or at least how to get started with the TFP method. Battling algae and of course pool store told me to rid phosphates, made sense at the time. Now I realize it’s because I can’t hold FC because CYA is 130. Started a drain tonight and will probably swap about 2000 gal then retest CYA. one that is down to 45-50 I will SLAM until algae is gone. I suspect there is still some hiding in pop up floor cleaner jets. I’m going to start a thread with progress. Thanks for your comment!

Luckily I wasn't pool stored as bad as many others because I knew just enough on my first trip to the Pool Store that I needed liquid chlorine, and that I should avoid phosphate scrubbers (credit to TFP Pool School, as well as John Brace's book which is about 75% agreeable with TFP).

When my pool turned cloudy one Saturday morning because my Pool Guy had gone out of town and missed a visit, I went to Pool Store knowing to get liquid chlorine. But I did their water test, fell for the ol' "Well your TA (adjusted to account for CYA) of 80 is low so you need to buy our Alkalinity Up product which will allow your chlorine to do its job better." So I bought their baking soda for $3/lb, and their chlorine at 2.5x the cost of WalMart's.

I got home, did a full cleanout on my DE filter which dropped the operational pressure from 40 psi to 13 psi (and in the process got stung by wasp for the first time in my life). Then I took care of the cloudy pool all on my own with some liquid chlorine and brushing - no Yellow Out or Power Powder needed. A few weeks later I had a TFP pro in hand and fired my pool service.

I didn’t get pool stored, but my pool guy constantly told me bad information and I got suspicious. I was tired of paying for his attitude and poor pool management so started searching online so that I could do it all myself.
So you didn't get Pool Stored - you got Pool Serviced. Same!

I am lucky enough to live very close to an independent pool store. The main company builds pools and my guess is that they started the store as a way of being vertically integrated. Anyway, there’s no doubt they have their system and there’s no doubt that it’s more expensive than TFP, but I think they are generally pretty honest and helpful. I was taking their advice from the time the builder turned the pool over to me until I came across TFP. Basically they got me going and I found TFP after about a month. I’m happy that I came across TFP because we share a minimalist mindset. I can’t say that about the pool store. TFP also helped me gain the confidence to open and close my pool. I’m pretty sure that saved me more than the pool store would have cost me. I still buy some product from the pool store, but I do the testing and know what I’m buying. I don’t mind supporting a local business and my primary purchases now are pretty much only MA and Chlorine.

I am lucky enough to live very close to an independent pool store. The main company builds pools and my guess is that they started the store as a way of being vertically integrated. Anyway, there’s no doubt they have their system and there’s no doubt that it’s more expensive than TFP, but I think they are generally pretty honest and helpful. I was taking their advice from the time the builder turned the pool over to me until I came across TFP. Basically they got me going and I found TFP after about a month. I’m happy that I came across TFP because we share a minimalist mindset. I can’t say that about the pool store. TFP also helped me gain the confidence to open and close my pool. I’m pretty sure that saved me more than the pool store would have cost me. I still buy some product from the pool store, but I do the testing and know what I’m buying. I don’t mind supporting a local business and my primary purchases now are pretty much only MA and Chlorine.
I also try to support my local mom & pop shop (if they’ll let me!).
I normally get bulk liquid chlorine & sometimes salt, cya or the occasional accessory there. I tried to get my dolphin’s pleated filter there but the guy was adamant over the phone that what they had wouldn’t fit my bot (which wasn’t true) so I didn’t go argue face to face & just ordered it from Amazon. You can’t win em all 🤷‍♀️

How do you find the local stores? All I find are the big names or the wholesalers….. are there many local stores left??

(So far Ace Hardware has been the best for me)

• Love
How do you find the local stores? All I find are the big names or the wholesalers….. are there many local stores left??

(So far Ace Hardware has been the best for me)
Google pool store near me & see what pops up.
Also many are listed here

• Love

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support