I just ruined my pump, what should I do now?

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
My "plan" was to possibly replace the whole pool next year, go up in size and get a real pump and filter. I did something extremely stupid this morning and turned the pump back on and walked off with all valves closed. Oops. They are tough little motors and who knows it may start up again after it cools off but I doubt it. My dilemma for now is - do I replace the whole system on this 6 year old pool, just order another intex pump/filter (don't need filter) or possibly just find another small pump and keep using the filter I have for now? ( I doubt ordering just the intex pump is any cheaper than getting the set, knowing how intex prices replacement parts, but I will look)

What do you all think, and do you have any recommendations for the non-intex options?

:cry:

See if it works. It just might.

I've not seen the pump itself for sale. There's a 16" combo on Amazon right now for $189 though.

Another option might be local used. People might be selling off pools and pumps that never got used about now.

Reactions: Pv2
Update! That freaking little pump is still running! It's on-off switch and timer have been shot for a long time, so I have it running on a cheap day timer from Amazon. My son had alerted me to the problem - water level way low, pump not running. hose between pump and filter was ruptured. Had to find some new hose (good old parts box) and refill pool above skimmer to even see if anything would work. (and make sure all valves were open about 5 times!!!) I had noticed the cheap timer had quit about an hour after I did my big oops. That gave me a tiny hunch/hope that maybe something would work - maybe it burned out instead of the pump? no, it was fine too. The GFCI had tripped! I am not sure why that would happen - nothing over there can get wet, and I don't think water from that leak would affect the pump would it? it is out in the weather and gets rained on (not that it rains here much or at all this summer :cry: ) But all seems to be working again. :whoot::paddle::cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.