I just put copper into my pool....

Cdbbw

May 10, 2018
Florida
So the pool is really green. I had good success with the regular Clorox Algaecide.

I bought the Clorox Xtra Blue algaecide and just found out it contains copper. Upon googling, I hear copper is no good for a pool since it causes staining and green hair and nails and stuff.

Now I need to buy a whole other bunch of chemicals to treat the copper and staining and stuff! Is it a one time use or do I have to keep using it?

What do I do?!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How much of the Xtra Blue did you add?
Adding one dose of copper is not that big of a deal, but you should avoid basically anything with the work blue in it.
But, you need to realize that algeacide is not the solution to a green pool.
You need to follow the SLAM Process process to kill the algae and get the pool cleared up.

What test kit do you use? Please post up a full set of test results.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How much of the Xtra Blue did you add?
Adding one dose of copper is not that big of a deal, but you should avoid basically anything with the work blue in it.
But, you need to realize that algeacide is not the solution to a green pool.
You need to follow the SLAM Process process to kill the algae and get the pool cleared up.

What test kit do you use? Please post up a full set of test results.

I used 32oz for about a 16,000 gallon pool.

I usually just go to a local pool supply to have the water tested. They tell me to put in “yellow stop”, but it never works. I’ve tried it twice. Then follow up with more chlorine and a clarifier if needed.

So I decided to try this one.

the first time I tried the regular algaecide, it stayed blue while I was keeping on top of it. I left for 2 weeks and my girlfriend never kept on top of the pool chemicals and testing and it turned green.

i don’t have any current test results.

Don't use anything with yellow in the name either ... that might have made this a much more difficult problem.

Stop using any algaecides ... they will not fix your pool. You need chlorine!

Also realize we do not trust pool store testing as it has repeatedly been proven to be inconsistent and not reliable.

If you want to take contol, invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits

I suggest you start reading up and learing about the chemistry as well ... it is really easy, especially with all of us here to answer any questions.
Start here:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

- - - Updated - - -

Do you still have the bottle of yellow stop to provide any ingredients?

Don't use anything with yellow in the name either ... that might have made this a much more difficult problem.

Stop using any algaecides ... they will not fix your pool. You need chlorine!

Also realize we do not trust pool store testing as it has repeatedly been proven to be inconsistent and not reliable.

If you want to take contol, invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits

I suggest you start reading up and learing about the chemistry as well ... it is really easy, especially with all of us here to answer any questions.
Start here:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

According to the bottle, it says it does not cause staining. Can I trust this?

So now that theres so much algaecide in the pool, what can be done to treat that then?

I will start researching!

If it was really the Stop Yellow Algaecide, that was sodium bromide, which just made your pool into a bromine pool making the path forward a little more murky.

I correct myself. It’s Yellow Gone, not Stop Yellow.

so far there’s 3 types of algaecide in the pool.

Here’s the timeline of it

1 month ago - Yellow Gone (didn’t work)
1 month ago - Regular Green Algaecide (worked)
1 week ago - Yellow Gone (didn’t work)
Today - Xtra Blue (copper, uh oh)

In that span, I followed the pool store directions and the pool was in balance. (Until I left. The GF was supposed to care for the pool and didn’t)

Do I just immediately follow the SLAM method? Or do I need to drain the pool or something?

for all future reference.. algaecide does not kill algae.. so if you have a problem you will want to use chlorine.

That being said, right now, just take a deep breathe. I know all too familiar that feeling of needing to throw something in the water to fix whatever it is I am being told is happening. The red pill/blue pill here is that you have been given some horrible advice and your problem is compounding. So what would be best would be to understand this is not a race, pools are corrected around here all the time.

How long have you had your pool, tell us some more about you, your experience, what kind of filter system you have. Fill out your signature for us. There will be a calvary of awesome people that are going to come here to share your concerns with you and every one of them is a volunteer.

Lets take this 1 step at a time and get your pool back in your control.

Thanks for reaching out,

Well on the plus side, the Yellow Gone does not appear to contain Bromine, so that crisis is averted.

You just need to follow the SLAM Process process, but to do so you need a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit, which likely will need to be ordered.
Recommend the TF-100 with XL option since you have to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.