I have to completely drain my pool

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
as the title says, the pool manufacturer has to drain my fiberglass pool to repair a peeling gel coat problem.
i also have a lot of iron staining on the walls from the rural water district.
so here’s my plan; i lift the stains with an AA treatment, then drain it. after the gelcoat is repaired, i refill it using a a pentek big blue filter (1 micron) on the end of the fill hose.
does that sound like it will work?
TIA, mike

How about using a big intermediate tank with a big magnet on the bottom.

Nope. Magnets will not work. If the iron is in solution Mike can maybe use an ion exchange system (similar to a water softener) but it is likely not efficient/cost effective for the volume of water you are talking about. @jmikeb, Can you get water trucked in?

i did notice green tinted water when i filled it last year
Green tint AFTER it was in the pool or while coming out of the hose? Green after it was in the pool can be filtered mechanically and is the result (normally) of the iron precipitating in the presence of chlorine.

Green tint AFTER it was in the pool or while coming out of the hose? Green after it was in the pool can be filtered mechanically and is the result (normally) of the iron precipitating in the presence of chlorine.
i used the tarp method and did a full water change. when i pulled the blue tarp out of the pool, the water had that green tint to it. this was before any chemicals were added.
the water i used has chlorine in it, although i never tested it

Nope. Magnets will not work. If the iron is in solution Mike can maybe use an ion exchange system (similar to a water softener) but it is likely not efficient/cost effective for the volume of water you are talking about. @jmikeb, Can you get water trucked in?
no water trucks are available around here.
i'm using a 600’ hose from my neighbors house who is on rural water

That green color on a fresh fill happens in my part of the country as well.
I don't believe it is related to iron as it disappears after 12-24 hrs.

But if you add chlorine and it turns green, that is the iron coming out of solution
and some have used polyfill in skimmers and custom drilled buckets with a pump
to filter it out over a period of days.

There are a few threads about that if you do a search.

That green color on a fresh fill happens in my part of the country as well.
I don't believe it is related to iron as it disappears after 12-24 hrs.

You on Bull Run water or another source? I noticed that years ago as well, figured it was a little algae from the reservoir. Bringing chlorine up to target on a fresh fill seems to remedy it. I don't think I've seen it last even 12 hours. It most certainly isn't iron though.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya in the recent water report (from tualatin valley water/sewer) they had mentioned Bull Run as a source and some other place.

My previous home was 100% Bull Run pretty sure (City of Portland Water/Sewer). And I remember draining the pool there (CYA was sky high) about 1/2 way
and refilling finished in the morning. It was very green which I thought was quite odd but by the next day it was all back to blue.

Reactions: frogabog
Ya in the recent water report (from tualatin valley water/sewer) they had mentioned Bull Run as a source and some other place.

My previous home was 100% Bull Run pretty sure (City of Portland Water/Sewer). And I remember draining the pool there (CYA was sky high) about 1/2 way
and refilling finished in the morning. It was very green which I thought was quite odd but by the next day it was all back to blue.

Thanks for that! I feel a little vindicated with your back up experience of this phenomenon. Pre-algaed water? I don't know what else it could be since it's not metals, most certainly.

@jmikeb, we believe you!

Pre-algaed water? I don't know what else it could be since it's not metals, most certainly.
That it disappears in 24 hours or so, strengthens the idea that it is metals.......doesn't lessen it.

If it was any form of algae, there would be no reason for it not to continue to flourish and get even greener. The iron in the water simply went back into solution. It's still in there after 24 hours but now it is soluble iron......not visible or filterable (nice word, huh?).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.