I have to accept a dirty pool

Does it look like the stuff in my pics
Here you go. Yesterday, my pool was spotless. Today, this is deposited in various places. They are about nickel to quarter sized spots. I can poof it away with my foot or vacuum it. OCLT last night was a loss of 0.

Attachments

• 20230601_155755.jpg
    20230601_155755.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 14
I still believe it to be dead algae. perhaps you killed enough of it to now pass the OCLT.

Increase your current FC by 50% for a day or two and see if it goes away. Vacuum what you can each day.

Here you go. Yesterday, my pool was spotless. Today, this is deposited in various places. They are about nickel to quarter sized spots. I can poof it away with my foot or vacuum it. OCLT last night was a loss of 0.
Exactly what I see all the time . Duraleigh says dead algae and I respect his opinion but I slammed the Crud out of my pool. I have o chlorine loss over night and keep my fc between 7 and 9 . My cya is 50 maybe 55 or 60 at most . Theirs no algae on my stairs or skimmer box. It’s just bizarre that it always comes back and I hate it. I’d pay good money to fix it if I could

I’d pay good money to fix it if I could
You don't have to. But I think you have to accept you have live algae in your pool, a portion of which is dying and settling on your pool floor. You really can't vacuum ALL of it so you have to brush it up into suspension in the pool water so the filter can remove it.

As a potential fix (and I think it will work), I suggest the 50% increase in FC (keep it there) and run your pump 24/7 and keep daily brushing to keep it suspended.

The best solution that really doesn't take much more time or material is to start over by posting a complete set of test results so we can get on the same page as you and then begin a NEW SLAM.

The SLAM works. It has proven effective on EVERY pool when it is done precisely as the SLAM article dictates. You can fix this issue but I think you first have to accept just what the issue is and then fix it........Likely with a new SLAM.

Reactions: Bperry
You don't have to. But I think you have to accept you have live algae in your pool, a portion of which is dying and settling on your pool floor. You really can't vacuum ALL of it so you have to brush it up into suspension in the pool water so the filter can remove it.

As a potential fix (and I think it will work), I suggest the 50% increase in FC (keep it there) and run your pump 24/7 and keep daily brushing to keep it suspended.

The best solution that really doesn't take much more time or material is to start over by posting a complete set of test results so we can get on the same page as you and then begin a NEW SLAM.

The SLAM works. It has proven effective on EVERY pool when it is done precisely as the SLAM article dictates. You can fix this issue but I think you first have to accept just what the issue is and then fix it........Likely with a new SLAM.
Is their any danger in letting people
Swim right now ? I have a party tomorrow ! Monday next week is perfect to start a slam because the temps will
Only be in the 70’s . Please let me ask you 2 questions I have . I know you know your stuff !!!.
1. If this is potentially algae wouldn’t it grow in other areas besides the floor bottom ?
2. If it is algae when I’m at slam
Level (Monday) than this stuff shouldn’t be forming on bottom of pool correct ?
3. Is vacume to waste essential ? I have a manual vac that doesn’t attach to filter I’d like to use .
4. How in the world is algae forming if I’m maintaining fc between 7-9 with cya at 50-60 ?

Thanks for all the help . I really appreciate it

Is their any danger in letting people
Swim right now ?
Algae, while unsightly, is harmless. To be sanitary, FC needs to be between min and SLAM per your CYA

Screenshot_20230304_131304_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230327_210207_Chrome.jpg

For swimmer safety, you also need to be able to see bottom to rescue a disabled swimmer. (Dosent apply here with clear water, mentioning it for newbs finding this down the road)
1. If this is potentially algae wouldn’t it grow in other areas besides the floor bottom ?
Sometimes it picks particular dents or seams.
2. If it is algae when I’m at slam
Level (Monday) than this stuff shouldn’t be forming on bottom of pool correct ?
Correct. But for every rule, there's am exception to that rule, like Mustard Algae. (I don't think it is, just sayin. Lol)
3. Is vacume to waste essential ? I have a manual vac that doesn’t attach to filter I’d like to use
No. When convenient, get rid if it to waste. If not, filter it and backwash.

DEAD algae is on your pool floor. Live algae is suspended throughout your pool yet often invisible
I started the slam last night and there was so much stuff on the pool floor this morning . Should I keep the slam going until this stuff stops appearing? I vacuumed and brushed and added chlorine. I was at 24 last night and at 21.5 this morning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So a follow up . I’ve seen many posts with is this pollen,dirt, algae ? The pics look similar to mine . It’s not the norm I guess but my water wasn’t consuming alot of chlorine at all. It would pass the overnight test . The water was clear . But this stuff kept returning on bottom. I decided to slam. I slammed for 2 days and that mustard algae slam for day 3. I used a lot of bleach. But in the end whatever was on my floor doesn’t return. It never built up on ladder , sides , nothing . Only appeared when the filter was running also I’d like to add. Long story …. Short .. the slam works

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.