Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Fc 9
Cc 0
Ta 70
Ph 7.6
Cya 50
I went to pool store and had them check to cross reference my readings . The look on their faces when my fc was at 9 . Lmao . They tried selling me phosphate remover. My phosphate was at 500. I told them no thanks .
So I had this problem last year. I have smudge like circles and streaks on the bottom of my pool. I can not capture nor feel it even with my fingers . It’s not attached because I can move it with just moving water on top of it . The color is brown to black sometimes a little white in it.
To combat this issue upon opening this year when I took the cover off the water still had plenty of fc around 13 roughly. Water was crystal clear and the pool bottom was spot free !!!!! I replaced all the pool sand with brand new sand. I have all new hoses . So the sand filter was rinsed , bleached , and basically brand new. I have and use skimmer socks to catch fine pollen and whatever else that may get through the sand .
Someone once mentioned to put a sock on the return line but after many attempts I deem it impossible. Maybe some people have different returns than mine but I can’t figure out how. I think I have a doughboy. Anyways ………
This is the sad story. I vaccume the pool floor. I have an independent vac I use.
It’s hoseless and it gets captured in a fine bag. Almost like a cotton material.
2 things that baffle me . One is if I don’t turn the pump on the floor will look cleaner for longer . Another is I sincerely don’t think it’s algae . This stuff never appears on stairs or sides of pool and my water is always crystal. I have done overnight fc loss tests and it always passes.
I know this isint recommended but should I flocc it ? Is there anything else I can try adding ? I’m ocd and this is driving me nuts . Oh and I did do an extended slam
When I opened just to do it . So I already zapped it .

Fc 9
Cc 0
Ta 70
Ph 7.6
Cya 50
I went to pool store and had them check to cross reference my readings . The look on their faces when my fc was at 9 . Lmao . They tried selling me phosphate remover. My phosphate was at 500. I told them no thanks .
So I had this problem last year. I have smudge like circles and streaks on the bottom of my pool. I can not capture nor feel it even with my fingers . It’s not attached because I can move it with just moving water on top of it . The color is brown to black sometimes a little white in it.
To combat this issue upon opening this year when I took the cover off the water still had plenty of fc around 13 roughly. Water was crystal clear and the pool bottom was spot free !!!!! I replaced all the pool sand with brand new sand. I have all new hoses . So the sand filter was rinsed , bleached , and basically brand new. I have and use skimmer socks to catch fine pollen and whatever else that may get through the sand .
Someone once mentioned to put a sock on the return line but after many attempts I deem it impossible. Maybe some people have different returns than mine but I can’t figure out how. I think I have a doughboy. Anyways ………
This is the sad story. I vaccume the pool floor. I have an independent vac I use.
It’s hoseless and it gets captured in a fine bag. Almost like a cotton material.
2 things that baffle me . One is if I don’t turn the pump on the floor will look cleaner for longer . Another is I sincerely don’t think it’s algae . This stuff never appears on stairs or sides of pool and my water is always crystal. I have done overnight fc loss tests and it always passes.
I know this isint recommended but should I flocc it ? Is there anything else I can try adding ? I’m ocd and this is driving me nuts . Oh and I did do an extended slam
When I opened just to do it . So I already zapped it .
Floc binds to particles and sinks them to the floor. So there would be no benefit to floc. Got a picture of what the stuff looks like?

I have and use skimmer socks to catch fine pollen and whatever else that may get through the sand .
That's fine and dandy for whatever makes it through the plumbing but won't do squat with whatever is heavy enough to settle on the floor.

We had a windy weekend, mid pollen season up here, and I had 3 kinds of crud on my floor when I vacuumed on Sunday.

Do you have trees nearby ? I don't and it would be way worse if I did. We have a couple of weeks left and it should get much better.

So you have pollen, sap/tannin and birds hiding their poops. Sounds like my old place and it was a never ending battle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also if it helps, I left the woods for a wide open yard near a farm. Crud is still blowing in left and right, it's just a different kind of crud.

Running 24/7 really helps, which would get spendy with a single speed pump.

Perhaps a bit more info from you would help.
1. In your current vac, does it get captured in the bag? Or does it just seem to pass through the weave?
2. When you brush, does it dissolve in a poof of "smoke", only to return later? Or does it tend to stay in clumps that can be moved around?
3. Can you hose vac to waste? Does it return after?
4. Have you tried a cup or two of DE powder to the filter, to increase its ability to capture small particles (you may have to backwash and replace it more often)?

How heavy is the local bird population? Flocks of Starlings or other large "herds" than return nearby to roost for the night, and leave in the early morning? (My issue is ducks!)

Always on the bottom and clean bottom when covered are pointing pretty hard to stuff dropping in, probably from trees. Bird poop seems like a good possibility.

I have a similar thing: trees surrounding the pool. Once a month or so a brown stain will appear. A smudge ~3 inches. Random shapes. Always on the bottom. Never sides. They don't respond to a brush, even steel. But slowly fade away over ~3 months, so must be organic. Yikes. After a couple of years I finally caught one being formed one morning. It was a certain kind of seed pod. Fell in and mostly dissolved in a few minutes leaving the stain behind. Most of these things float, but the sinkers cause the problem.

So I wonder if you'd learn anything by training an inexpensive outdoor camera (Wyze or similar) on a swatch of pool to see what it is in your case. Catch the bird or plant or whatever it is in the act.

Reactions: newbie919
Perhaps a bit more info from you would help.
1. In your current vac, does it get captured in the bag? Or does it just seem to pass through the weave?
2. When you brush, does it dissolve in a poof of "smoke", only to return later? Or does it tend to stay in clumps that can be moved around?
3. Can you hose vac to waste? Does it return after?
4. Have you tried a cup or two of DE powder to the filter, to increase its ability to capture small particles (you may have to backwash and replace it more often)?

How heavy is the local bird population? Flocks of Starlings or other large "herds" than return nearby to roost for the night, and leave in the early morning? (My issue is ducks!)
1. Seems to be captured the bag looks dirty brown but it reappears in pool floor next day.
2.2. It poofs . I can wave my foot above it without touching and it disappears.
3. I could vac to waste it reappears next day
4. never tried that. Interestingly if I don’t run the filter/pump the bottom seems cleaner

I have a similar problem in my pool. There is a sand base under my vinyl liner and whatever that "dirt" stuff is tends to accumulate in the little divets of the liner where the sand has sunk, and along one seam. If I take care of them daily, they just "poof" away if I wave my foot over them, but if I ignore them for a few days, I have to brush them away, almost like they become sticky. I've always thought it was pollen settling where there isn't a lot of water movement, but no way to prove that is what it is.

I have something similar currently. It certainly looks like yours. My current duck problem is abating - between the passing of mating season, and the dogs chasing them off, they aren't trying to use the pool much anymore. Just getting to the tail end of the elm seeds, so it may have also been introduced by them. It does dissolve in a puff of "smoke" if even disturbed a little. If your bag is trapping it, and it reappears after vac to waste, then it is definitely coming from the outside world.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.