I have sooo many questions!!!

winesalot

Jun 16, 2019
Lake Chelan, WA
We are moving from the dreaming to the planning phase of our new home and pool. I have questions and the answers should hopefully guide us down the correct path.

Here is the background or current thoughts. We are planning to build the pool ourselves using ICF's. Pool and Spa Designs out of Scottsdale AZ is going to do our pool design work which will include permit ready construction drawings, electrical & plumbing schematics, and a wholesale equipment list. Since the pool will be a custom design built with ICF's the pull surface will be most similar to a gunnite built pool. We have scrapped the pool level hot tub idea that is shown on the sketch.

Here are the questions:

1. With this pool, what will I need to do in the winter time? Do I keep it full with the heater set above freezing? Do I drain it, blow out the plumbing lines, plug the openings, and partially refill like my vinyl pool friends do?
2. As a follow up to question 1, per the attached sketch, there is an infinity edge component to the design, I can't imagine that I want water splashing over the edge when the outside temperature is below freezing.
3. Are there systems available that will monitor water chemistry and add chemicals automatically?
4. How corrosive are saltwater pools to the concrete and other items near the pool?
5. We love luscious green grass. Any issues planting grass right up to the edge of the sides on this pool? (Which would not be the primary ingress/egress.)

Last edited:
1. With this pool, what will I need to do in the winter time? Do I keep it full with the heater set above freezing?

You cannot use a gas heater to keep pool water above freezing due to corrosive condensation.

Do I drain it, blow out the plumbing lines, plug the openings, and partially refill like my vinyl pool friends do?

Yes, you will need to winterize your pool.

2. As a follow up to question 1, per the attached sketch, there is an infinity edge component to the design, I can't imagine that I want water splashing over the edge when the outside temperature is below freezing.

Yes, that is why you will need to winterize your pool.

3. Are there systems available that will monitor water chemistry and add chemicals automatically?

Yes, but we don;t recommend them. They are quirky and require as much monitoring as manual chemical doses. Pentair and Hayward have automatic systems for chlorination and acid dosing.
4. How corrosive are saltwater pools to the concrete and other items near the pool?

Pool that generate chlorine through a SWG have water that is 10% the level of ocean water. Items outdoors will corrode regardless of the type of water you have in your pool. Vendors find it easy to blame corrosion on the salt in pool water.

5. We love luscious green grass. Any issues planting grass right up to the edge of the sides on this pool? (Which would not be the primary ingress/egress.)

You will find the pool will get dirty a lot more with grass clippings and dirt blowing into the pool. When the grass is mowed it will be difficult not to get grass clippings in the pool. And people will carry the dirt from their feet into the pool. If you all care about having a clean pool you will find grass next to the pool troublesome.

We have the lowest electric rates in the entire United States so we will be heating with electricity, not gas.

Most pool heat pumps will not operate below 50F. You cannot count on them keeping your water above freezing. Even if the HP runs chances are their condensate drain will freeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.