I have no returns and a oddly plumbed skimmer..

Nonyabiz

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2023
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
10k gallon pool with an A&A Infloor system, ASVC main drain and Venturi skimmer. I have zero additional returns besides the 36 G4V pop up heads, no water surface height returns. When they plumbed the skimmer they did not add the return line to the back of the skimmer which is what creates the Venturi effect. On the front of the skimmer I have a lower port that does go out to the pool with a drain cover over it, this port is supposed to be used for the Venturi effect from the Venturi return line which flows through the bottom of the skimmer then out to the pool. As a result of all of this, I have no surface skim effect as the majority of the water the skimmer pulls in comes from the lower port, not the surface. If I plug the lower port by placing a bowl over the drain cover the surface suction does increase. Obviously, I'm not placing a bowl over the lower port drain cover permanently, what do I do? For reference, the G4V pop ups are not yet installed as I was told to wait 30 days bc of new PebbleTec. The system was engineered by A&A but I assume they designed it with the intention of the Venturi return line being plumbed to skimmer. When I questioned the plumber he said the Venturi return line isn't necessary and that the "quick skims are a scam".

Any advice or help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

I tend to agree with your plumber that the Venturi Skimmer has little value. But then a regular skimmer should have been used instead of the Venturi Skimmer. To install the Venturi Skimmer without the return line connected is just incorrect use of the device.

You either need to get the return pipe installed in the skimmer or change the skimmer. Neither of which are easy now.

@proavia may have thoughts.

no,

Does your new skimmer have an operating weir door?

I too doubt your problem is the lack of "venturi" action, which is more marketing than it is a real thing.

Not having the ability to select wall returns, or in floor returns, is a huge mistake in my tiny mind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Bperry
How old is the pool?

Sounds like the plumber is trying to justify not doing the plumbing correctly - if this is the same person/company who forgot to add the return line.

While I don't have a venturi skimmer, my neighbor does. With water being returned to the venturi in the bottom of the skimmer, he can run his pump at a lower RPM and get the same skimming action as when the venturi return line is turned off and the pump rpm is increased. So he is basically getting the same skimming for less cost/electricity. If the thing was included in the cost, I'd want it plumbed correctly - at least then I'd have the option to use it or not.

I won't discuss the merits - or lack there of - of a venturi skimmer. But those who don't have first hand experience or have witnessed one in operation tend to think a venturi skimmer isn't worth it. Same can be said of a lot of things "pool".

Post a pic of the inside of the skimmer with the basket removed. Also post a picture or three of the equipment pad showing all the valves and pipes. The outlet pipe below the skimmer shouldn't be drawing water in from the pool - even without the venturi being on or the entire return pipe missing.

Many builders don't spec in-wall return lines when there is an IFCS installed. I think that's being short-sighted. In-wall returns should be included whether there is an IFCS or not. The minimal cost can easily be built into the price of the project (a couple hundred feet of PVC pipe, a few PVC fittings and a 3-way Jandy valve).

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I won't discuss the merits - or lack there of - of a venturi skimmer. But those who don't have first hand experience or have witnessed one in operation tend to think a venturi skimmer isn't worth it. Same can be said of a lot of things "pool".

Okay, I will stop bashing venturi skimmers. They are now my friend.

I tend to agree with your plumber that the Venturi Skimmer has little value. But then a regular skimmer should have been used instead of the Venturi Skimmer. To install the Venturi Skimmer without the return line connected is just incorrect use of the device.

You either need to get the return pipe installed in the skimmer or change the skimmer. Neither of which are easy now.

@proavia may have thoughts.

The skimmer is totally encased in the shotcrete and essentially impossible at this point. Seems the return line being installed is my only option.

no,

Does your new skimmer have an operating weir door?

I too doubt your problem is the lack of "venturi" action, which is more marketing than it is a real thing.

Not having the ability to select wall returns, or in floor returns, is a huge mistake in my tiny mind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Weir door not yet installed, will do that today
I assumed the no wall returns was an issue, thank you for the confirmation

How old is the pool?

Sounds like the plumber is trying to justify not doing the plumbing correctly - if this is the same person/company who forgot to add the return line.

While I don't have a venturi skimmer, my neighbor does. With water being returned to the venturi in the bottom of the skimmer, he can run his pump at a lower RPM and get the same skimming action as when the venturi return line is turned off and the pump rpm is increased. So he is basically getting the same skimming for less cost/electricity. If the thing was included in the cost, I'd want it plumbed correctly - at least then I'd have the option to use it or not.

Post a pic of the inside of the skimmer with the basket removed. Also post a picture or three of the equipment pad showing all the valves and pipes. The outlet pipe below the skimmer shouldn't be drawing water in from the pool - even without the venturi being on or the entire return pipe missing.

Many builders don't spec in-wall return lines when there is an IFCS installed. I think that's being short-sighted. In-wall returns should be included whether there is an IFCS or not. The minimal cost can easily be built into the price of the project (a couple hundred feet of PVC pipe, a few PVC fittings and a 3-way Jandy valve).

The pool has had water for 2 weeks now, so essentially brand new. The plumber is demanding an additional $500 to repair the issue and add the return line. I've attached some images for your review. It would seem I either add the return line or come up with a crafty way to block the lower port from pulling water into the skimmer.

Thank you all of you for your insight and help!

Attachments

• 20230427_163208-COLLAGE.jpg
    20230427_163208-COLLAGE.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 17
No,

The weir door is what make the skimmers... skim. Without a weir door the skimmer is only about 50% efficient.

I don't think you are going to find the lack of a venturi a problem, once you get the weir door installed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

In your picture of your skimmer, you are missing the venturi portion of the venturi skimmer. In the below it is the '2" molded sleeve' that is installed in the port going out to the pool.

1682644191509.png

I have 2 of these venturi skimmers, one with a pump suction and one with the venturi only. Both operate equally well. Had I been active on here ahead of my build I would have insisted that both get plumbed back to the pad, however.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was this the pool builders plumber or did you do an owner build?
In any case, they screwed up. They need to fix it for free or compensate you accordingly.
You had a reasonable expectation that a "professional" would plumb the pool correctly.

Weir door or not, that skimmer won't work correctly without the internal pieces for the venturi portion - as @Turbo1Ton said. And this is whether the venturi return line is there or not (or whether its on or off).
The skimmer will work with or without the missing return line - but ALL the venturi skimmer innards need to be installed. Water takes the path of least resistance - right now that is the pipe between the skimmer and pool.

Post a better pic of the plumbing near the heater - I'd like to see the writing on the labels clearly.
Byt the heater on the right side in your previous pic, where does the vertical pipe go the goes into the ground?
Do you have the engineering plans or plumbing plans?

Reactions: Jimrahbe
And it's not the end of the world if you don't have separate wall returns with an IFCS. 1000's of pools are built that way. Ideally, the pool should have wall returns too, but most builders don't add them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.