I have no idea what I'm doing!!

annaaa

May 24, 2024
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. So I am a first time pool owner, it's literally just a Funsicle 10x30 pool from Aldi (with a crappy pump)... I didn't really think I'd have to do much it, but upon doing a search because my water being slightly tinged green, I found all this info and now I'm overwhelmed.

I used bleach in it twice, one and a half cups mixed with 2 gal water overnight. The chlorine was way low the next day, but I let my kid swim anyways.

We had a storm two nights ago, and the test was still basically no chemicals in it, so I shocked it last night with a small amount of pool shock, and added bleach as well. I haven't added anything else like baking soda or the other things. I'm attaching what my reading says today at 2:00 PM. I shocked last night around 10 pm.

I keep looking things up and not writing it down so I'm getting confused on what I need to use. Are there any handy cheat sheets? I'm trying to only do this pool with bleach and baking soda, but I know I'm gonna need to go and buy the other chemicals.

My main question is, can my kid swim with it like this? The water is slightly tinged green, I saw someone say they had an iron problem, so I'm wondering if that may be the problem. I'm also very confused as to when to do all these chemical additions. Doing them overnight is what I had planned, but I keep waking up needing to add stuff, like I believe I def need to add baking soda, but Google says you have to wait 6 hours before using the pool. Does that mean if I wake up and need to add chemicals, the day is shot for swimming? (work overnights, so usually don't wake up until midday, so I can't add these things super early, unless I start checking when I get home. maybe that's what I should do?)

I know it's not a perfect picture, but what I gathered from it is:
My hardness is low. in the 100 range.
Free chlorine is light, light pink, so .5 maybe 1 (in person it showed better)
Bromine is basically white.
Total chlorine is a lightish green, I'd say on the 5, maybe right between 3 and 5
CYA is super light orange, lighter than the 0.
Alkalinity was super light green, I'd say 40.
pH is light orange, similar to 0.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
Hey annaaa and Welcome !!! To properly sanitize your pool, you need to know the CYA level to a 10. Those guess strips just aren't going to cut it.

Have a read : FC/CYA Levels

Here's how you dose, and you'll see why the CYA values on the strips are problematic, *if* it was even right.

lc_chart.jpg

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Hey annaaa and Welcome !!! To properly sanitize your pool, you need to know the CYA level to a 10. Those guess strips just aren't going to cut it.

Have a read : FC/CYA Levels

Here's how you dose, and you'll see why the CYA values on the strips are problematic, *if* it was even right.

View attachment 576210
guess strips 😭 okay thank you! doing lots of reading now! Is it safe to swim in for the time being? I never remember having this problem when we had a pool when I was younger, but then again my dad probably knew what he was doing and kept it perfect. Ugh! lol

Is it safe to swim in for the time being?
We can't say with unreliable data.

Swimmer to swimmer transmissions are mostly minimized in a residential pool. The most common issue is swimmers rash which while uncomfortable, and may need a Dr's visit, likely won't cause any serious harm Only you can decide what you're comfortable with.

Reactions: annaaa