I have never gotten a handle on balancing my salt water pool... ph issues/ scaling etc.

Sep 26, 2012
I love my salt water pool... but the ph creep constantly has been so difficult to manage... had my pool since 2013.. i know we let it creep up too high. I feel like I need to add acid every few days to keep in check... what can we do to better maintain and get out of this constant ph of 8 or higher that we can never seem to get control of.....

What is your TA?

What type of pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool.

Needing to lower pH every few days is a fact of pool owners. Some folks install automated acid dispensers. They have their pros and cons and need watching over and periodic maintenance.

What is your TA?

What type of pool? Please create your signature with details of your pool.

Needing to lower pH every few days is a fact of pool owners. Some folks install automated acid dispensers. They have their pros and cons and need watching over and periodic maintenance.
I think I created my signature... thanks so much. I have thought of the automatic dispenser!! I just get busy and forget to check it... I have read about borates to help stabilize the ph in salt pools.. Looking for thoughts on those sorts of products.

After you give us a complete set of current test results we can discuss what you need to do and the use of acid dispensers.

Ph yesterday was 8.0 ... added acid, today it was 7.6. TA 50 CH 450 , tc 3, cc 0

I am thinking about getting a water guru... help me stay on top of things better. I wonder if it has alerts.. like ph is 7.8 alert or something!

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

You have an autofill on your pool?

You running any spa overflow or water features regularly?

Your spa overflow running when your pump is running is contributing to your pH rise. What is your daily pump runtime.

Do you have automation that can run your spa spillover for 15 minutes twice a day?

Your spa overflow running when your pump is running is contributing to your pH rise. What is your daily pump runtime.

Do you have automation that can run your spa spillover for 15 minutes twice a day?
I have automation.... but when the pool is on it overflows.... I don't think I am able to not have it spill over....or if I am somehow I don't know how....

Last edited:
Post pics of your pool equipment pad and valves. Especially around your return line.

Your signature does not show any automation. Many automation systems have a spa spillover function. What automation do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post pics of your pool equipment pad and valves. Especially around your return line.

Your signature does not show any automation. Many automation systems have a spa spillover function. What automation do you have?
corrected my signature! I have hayward pro logic 4. I will take a pic tomorrow. thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.