South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I know Intex gives the xtr pools a 2 year warranty and thats great. but will they cover the warranty if I purchase a pool from an overstock store?
We have this store near me that gets unopened overstock and they sell items at reduced prices. They have the 18' XTR Pool that I want to purchase for half the price (less than 500.00) that I have found. The only thing that is holding me back is that the box is damaged. It's got some tears in the center. The box still has the two poly straps wrapped around the box and the box has not been opened. I'm worried that the liner could be damaged but have no way to know for sure until I purchase it.

So would you buy it not knowing the condition of the liner?

It took me some time to get through to them but I finally did. So unfortunately because Intex considers the store a liquidation store the warranty is invalid. So much for finding a good deal.

So would you buy it not knowing the condition of the liner
Are all sales final ? If so use a credit card and dispute it if need be.

Or explain the concerns to an employee and have them open the box to prove its not destroyed.

Did u tell them specifically it was a liquidation store?
I have provided a receipt/date of purchase in the past & filed a warranty claim/received replacement on an intex product even though my item was purchased this way.
I have purchased several pools, swg’s & other intex products from a local clearance place at a great discount. My savings at the time was worth it whether the warranty was upheld or not so i am comfortable with the risk either way YMMV.

On another note - was this a rectangular or round pool?
Another member here just scooped up a 20’ round bestway @ sam’s for $420
They come with terribly under sized filters/pumps so plan on upgrading that in your total budget if the one you’re looking at comes with the little paper filters.

I told the rep. it was an overstock store. She asked the name of the store and my name, put me on hold. She came back o and told me it was a liquidation store and they wouldn't honor the warranty. I'm not even sure why she asked me for my name other than to put me on a list, LOL!

The pool is a 18'x 52" round xtr and was priced at 470.00. The store only offers a 7 day return policy but we weren't going to install the pool until march. That's why I was hesitant to buy it. If I could have got it up and saw that there wasn't any rips, tears or leaking with in a 7 day period I would have no problems purchasing the pool because I could return it.

I have a pretty big list of items in my amazon cart to upgrade the pool. In another thread I have listed everything I plan to upgrade the pool like a larger sand filter system, hard plumbing, large intex salt generator ect. I also live very close to the gulf and am planning on using a salt water generator, I feel like the best pool purchase is the XTR. My local walmart has some Coleman pools but I just don't know how they will hold up to rusting.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My first metal frame pool was a bestway & it held up great for the 3+ years that i had it - the frame was still pristine & very sturdy when i upgraded to a bigger pool even after disassembling/reassembling it multiple times & leaving it up in the winter.
I had a coleman (bestway makes coleman) after that (the same style frame as intex ultraframe) & it completely rusted through in one spot by yr 3. I think that had more to do with me scratching the coating off there when putting it together & that the quality of the metal/coatings they use now for all these type pools in general has went down & is more easily scratched as production has increased for these brands. I have no doubt the quality is quite comparable between brands these days. In hindsight I should have touched up the scratches with rust oleum immediately. Get the pool u can afford- all the liners & frames are roughly the same quality but I realize there’s definitely some peace of mind to being able to return it if things are messed up out of the box/upon install. Since u plan to upgrade the pump/filter & plumbing you will be avoiding most of the problems associated with this type of pool anyway.

Just an update, My husband and I went back to the store for some shopping time. Low and behold the pool was still there. We spoke with the manager and he agreed to open the box to checkout the liner only if we agreed to purchase it if there was nothing wrong with it visually. He was super nice and there was nothing wrong that we could see with the liner. The plastic bag that the liner was placed in was intact. So we came home with the pool. The manager gave us an additional 10% off of the price! In total we paid 458.00 for an 18' xtr! I'm super excited.
Now I get to spend extra money on a new pump and saltwater generator!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update, My husband and I went back to the store for some shopping time. Low and behold the pool was still there. We spoke with the manager and he agreed to open the box to checkout the liner only if we agreed to purchase it if there was nothing wrong with it visually. He was super nice and there was nothing wrong that we could see with the liner. The plastic bag that the liner was placed in was intact. So we came home with the pool. The manager gave us an additional 10% off of the price! In total we paid 458.00 for an 18' xtr! I'm super excited.
Now I get to spend extra money on a new pump and saltwater generator!!
winning GIF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.