I have ABSOLUTELY no need for a VS pump ..... right?

Try this assumption.
Assume you run your single speed for 8 hours a day. Running the VS at half speed for 8 hours will cost you about 1/4 the money. Running for 16 hours will cost you 1/2 the money to move the same amount of water. If you know that your pool at single speed cost you $1 dollar a day then running a VS at half speed will cost you $0.50 per day. Every month is a $15 savings. The savings of a VS vs. 2 speed is realized rather quickly in the south with the long swim seasons. Not to mention the pump is quiet!!

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a better understanding of how the VS pump works to save electricity. I had not considered the 2 speed pump but it is looking like the best option for me as I can get the the energy savings and it will be easy to integrate with my home automation.
Is there any particular 2 speed pump to consider, or steer clear of?

I dont want to talk for JimMarshall but i believe that we were both trying to explain that VS would be the best and cheapest way to go. Also a quick payback. The slow speed on a two speed is still a much higher electrical cost than the VS motor.

Reactions: Newdude
The answer to my original question turns out to be "wrong".
Two speed pumps are few and far between these days. I decided on a Waterway Power Defender 140. The price is good and its RS485 connection could have some hackable potential.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.