I have ABSOLUTELY no need for a VS pump ..... right?

Darin

May 29, 2015
Muscatine/IA
Try this assumption.
Assume you run your single speed for 8 hours a day. Running the VS at half speed for 8 hours will cost you about 1/4 the money. Running for 16 hours will cost you 1/2 the money to move the same amount of water. If you know that your pool at single speed cost you $1 dollar a day then running a VS at half speed will cost you $0.50 per day. Every month is a $15 savings. The savings of a VS vs. 2 speed is realized rather quickly in the south with the long swim seasons. Not to mention the pump is quiet!!

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
My 2 cents - even with a relatively short swim season here in PA I had a break even point of about 5 years on the cost of the pump VS the electric to run it, and that is with switching from 8 hours a day with my single speed to running 24/7 with my VSP

Reactions: Darin and Newdude

Steve #1

May 31, 2007
TEXAS
Thanks for all the feedback. I have a better understanding of how the VS pump works to save electricity. I had not considered the 2 speed pump but it is looking like the best option for me as I can get the the energy savings and it will be easy to integrate with my home automation.
Is there any particular 2 speed pump to consider, or steer clear of?

Darin

May 29, 2015
Muscatine/IA
I dont want to talk for JimMarshall but i believe that we were both trying to explain that VS would be the best and cheapest way to go. Also a quick payback. The slow speed on a two speed is still a much higher electrical cost than the VS motor.

Reactions: Newdude

Steve #1

May 31, 2007
TEXAS
The answer to my original question turns out to be "wrong".
Two speed pumps are few and far between these days. I decided on a Waterway Power Defender 140. The price is good and its RS485 connection could have some hackable potential.