I hate pool stores. Need help with test kit

Yes, you'll want to add CYA prior to adding bleach to protect it from the sun. Otherwise it will burn off from the UV before it is effective. How much do you have. I buy it at Menards (home improvement store) for fairly inexpensive. I know that is relative, but certainly makes sense to try to use what you have to minimize costs, especially it that means you'll be able to purchase the test kit.

And just to reiterate, if you drained and refilled the only CYA present will be what you added. If you added none, you have none. Pool Math is very convenient for estimating ppm's - use the "effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom to estimate what the effects will be of what you have on hand and see where that gets you. Just be sure to change the pool volume at the top left of the page to 5600 gallons.
I used pool math and I had enough cya. I put enough in to raise cuz to 30. Put enough chlorine to raise to 12 ppm about 30 mins later. Trying to keep regrowth down until kit arrives. Says its shipping today. Do you how long it usually takes to get tf100 kit?

First pic after chlorine and running filter and skimming. Second pic was before
67cf9b8a711504cc42fff6b596c25671.jpg
54bf36433f82d33bda0431cc17b2e280.jpg

From North Carolina to you - probably a couple of days. Congrats to you, I know it is difficult to spend that much at first but it will be worth it.

Great plan of attack, I would add that same does daily until your kit arrives and keep your pump running. Don't forget to take pictures so you can see just how fast it improves.

UPDATE - Just saw your pic. Looking markedly better already!!

I think you should start adding half a gallon of regular strength bleach a day until your test kit comes. If you don't have any chlorine in it right now, you can let it get started on the green. And brush brush brush so the algae cannot stick to the walls and floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind you said you are adding chlorine :)

I think you should start adding half a gallon of regular strength bleach a day until your test kit comes. If you don't have any chlorine in it right now, you can let it get started on the green. And brush brush brush so the algae cannot stick to the walls and floor.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 10% pool chlorine. Need hubby to weed eat driving me nuts walking through weeds..yuck

Thanks. Tested cya it was 40 currently adding more water since I lost some backwashing a few times. Adding ph down since it was very high and added more chlorine. Does nothing kill these stupid water bugs? I detest them!

- - - Updated - - -

I will start brushing soon. I've been putting off. Its a bit hard on me physically. I need a vacuum that I don't have to get in the pool tomorrow use. Its too much for me. Hubby says he will do it but I know he will be far too tired after working in heat all day

I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Intex-28001E-Auto-Pool-Cleaner/dp/B00GSPHSRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496340888&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+automatic+pool+cleaner

Does a good job cleaning up leaves. I was scared to put it in when I couldn't see the bottom so I waited until the pool was clear enough. The brushing stinks but it really is what helps the chlorine kill the algae.
I'm gonna suck it up and go out with my 6 yr old. He's excited to pull weeds. Will make it easier for me to get out there and brush. First pic is last yr and second is now
1dc8830d8626e1bb1f036a350053f773.jpg
5b2f8946e59f62307725936c71691345.jpg

I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Intex-28001E-Auto-Pool-Cleaner/dp/B00GSPHSRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496340888&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+automatic+pool+cleaner

Does a good job cleaning up leaves. I was scared to put it in when I couldn't see the bottom so I waited until the pool was clear enough. The brushing stinks but it really is what helps the chlorine kill the algae.
Oh I failed to mention. I never gets leaves in pool we have NO trees. We just lots of fine dust from dirt road. There are some wrinkles and some dips in ground on bottom of pool. My husband felt it wasn't necessary to do the ground work. Worried vacuum would tear liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those dips and wrinkles in the liner will harbor algae that will frustrate your ability to get the pool to pass the OCLT.

You do need to be careful not to snag the liner with the vacuum.

Once you have a relatively clear pool and it is safe to do so someone needs to get in the pool and try to check in the wrinkles and dips for algae.

Good Luck!

I bought the K-2006 and have followed the advice on TFP. Never again will I ever follow advice from anywhere else. This year has been much better opening my pool! (Even though I had to dump 3/4 of my water lol. )
Bite the bullet, get the test kit and save later!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.