Jinxed13

Jun 29, 2022
Las Vegas nv
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve been the tf100 test kit and here are my latest results.

Fc 9.5
Ph 7.5
Ch 350
Ta 100
Cya 42

When I put these into pool math it seems I just pick which topic and enter the numbers
So far it’s just been lower ph with acid to lower the ta
Then adding lc

Is that it?

I’ve been the tf100 test kit and here are my latest results.

Fc 9.5
Ph 7.5
Ch 350
Ta 100
Cya 42

When I put these into pool math it seems I just pick which topic and enter the numbers
So far it’s just been lower ph with acid to lower the ta
Then adding lc

Is that it?
Generally, you are correct!!! There is a saying around here, don't be a slave to the machine. That means understand what you are doing don't just do what Pool Math says. It is a guide and a tool.

Let's start with pH. 7.6-7.8 is a recommended target. Don't know why pool math would give you a recommendation to lower your 7.5 with acid. Maybe that was a recommendation to lower your TA...see next paragraph. Generally, If your pH starts with a 7, you don't need to do something to change it.

As for TA, it will come down over time, really no need to do anything at TA 100. pH will normally rise by itself. When it gets to 8 add muriatic to get to 7.4 or so. When you add the Muriatic, it will lower TA. pH will rise again naturally without raising TA. At some point your TA will be low enough that your pH will stabilize or stop rising. No need to chase TA at the moment. Just manage pH in the 7s.

You only test CYA at the lines. Fill to one line, obscured? No, fill to next line. First line it is obscured you are done. That is your CYA Do the test, when you are outside with bright sun at your back and tube at your waste, use a glance to see if dot is there, don't stare. Your CYA is 50 for pool math purposes.

Get 50 CYA into Pool Math, your target FC should be 6-8 (found here -->FC/CYA Levels). FC at 9.5 is fine, it too will come down. As a new pool user don't ever let your FC go below 5. You will learn what your pool needs on a daily basis. Why don't you test as early in the morning as you can, then again after sundown tomorrow. That will give you a read on your daily FC demand. Let's say you use 4ppm. You will then want to redose chlorine to 9 FC daily. It will use 4 and you will end up at 5, keeping you above minimum and avoiding algae.

Hope all this helps! Contrats on the test kit!

Post up some pictures of the pool, love to see it!

Generally, you are correct!!! There is a saying around here, don't be a slave to the machine. That means understand what you are doing don't just do what Pool Math says. It is a guide and a tool.

Let's start with pH. 7.6-7.8 is a recommended target. Don't know why pool math would give you a recommendation to lower your 7.5 with acid. Maybe that was a recommendation to lower your TA...see next paragraph. Generally, If your pH starts with a 7, you don't need to do something to change it.

As for TA, it will come down over time, really no need to do anything at TA 100. pH will normally rise by itself. When it gets to 8 add muriatic to get to 7.4 or so. When you add the Muriatic, it will lower TA. pH will rise again naturally without raising TA. At some point your TA will be low enough that your pH will stabilize or stop rising. No need to chase TA at the moment. Just manage pH in the 7s.

You only test CYA at the lines. Fill to one line, obscured? No, fill to next line. First line it is obscured you are done. That is your CYA Do the test, when you are outside with bright sun at your back and tube at your waste, use a glance to see if dot is there, don't stare. Your CYA is 50 for pool math purposes.

Get 50 CYA into Pool Math, your target FC should be 6-8 (found here -->FC/CYA Levels). FC at 9.5 is fine, it too will come down. As a new pool user don't ever let your FC go below 5. You will learn what your pool needs on a daily basis. Why don't you test as early in the morning as you can, then again after sundown tomorrow. That will give you a read on your daily FC demand. Let's say you use 4ppm. You will then want to redose chlorine to 9 FC daily. It will use 4 and you will end up at 5, keeping you above minimum and avoiding algae.

Hope all this helps! Contrats on the test kit!

Post up some pictures of the pool, love to see it!
Sorry I left out previous test results.
My ta was at 140 so I did add acid to get that to pool maths recommended 7.2

Against better judgement I have been using pucks with lc to get my cya up after my refill, cya was so high it was pretty much untestable.
I’ll stop with pucks now since cya is at recommended level

I’ll test in the am and go from there

Thank you for the help

Sorry I left out previous test results.
My ta was at 140 so I did add acid to get that to pool maths recommended 7.2

Against better judgement I have been using pucks with lc to get my cya up after my refill, cya was so high it was pretty much untestable.
I’ll stop with pucks now since cya is at recommended level

I’ll test in the am and go from there

Thank you for the help
TA reduction and lower pH target makes soooooo much sense in that context!!!!

Reactions: Jinxed13
Against better judgement I have been using pucks with lc to get my cya up after my refill,
On the contrary, you were using great judgement. Here's the official TFP protocol :

Know your levels
Know what they should be
Know what you're adding
Know what it will do
Watch it do
Pat yourself on the back and have a beverage

I tested yesterday afternoon after this discussion and came up with an FC of 11. I left the floater in and took it out today.

Tested FC again this morning and was still at 11 so it looks like little to no overnight loss of chlorine but the floater was also in.

This evenings test is fc of 7.5 so a loss of 3.5 ppm chlorine

Attachments

• D4E9615E-B405-4AD7-86D1-8679F7B14584.jpeg
    D4E9615E-B405-4AD7-86D1-8679F7B14584.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 9
You're doing great. Fall into target range and aim tomorrow's dose to do it again. In the peak season that may mean going over target range. So what ? Minimum is lava and FC is safe up to SLAM / 40% of CYA / 20 for you. (With 50..... always round up)

Note that a FC of 10+ makes the PH test invalid. So test for PH anytime you are under 10 FC.

You're doing great. Fall into target range and aim tomorrow's dose to do it again. In the peak season that may mean going over target range. So what ? Minimum is lava and FC is safe up to SLAM / 40% of CYA / 20 for you. (With 50..... always round up)

Note that a FC of 10+ makes the PH test invalid. So test for PH anytime you are under 10 FC.
Good to know. Guess I exclude ph until I’m under 10

Thank you

Reactions: Newdude
Guess I exclude ph until I’m under 10
Target range for 50 CYA is 6-8. And you're losing 3.5. So dose to 9.5 or 10, and check PH tomorrow before adding again. Once you get a feeling for how your PH responds you can skip as many days as it's proven to hold.

I will just add that finding your pool's natural TA / Ph balance is the secret to happiness and sanity. "Ph starting with 7 and TA at least 60" was amazing good advice for me. Finally settling on 7.8 and 60, our pool's Ph needs lowering every 9 days at most. When the water gets colder it's weeks or months. Before this, was killing myself to hit 7.5 and 80+. After 2 summers, it's still totally wonderful clear water. The most important part is the FC/CYA chart and staying well above the minimums.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will just add that finding your pool's natural TA / Ph balance is the secret to happiness and sanity. "Ph starting with 7 and TA at least 60" was amazing good advice for me. Finally settling on 7.8 and 60, our pool's Ph needs lowering every 9 days at most. When the water gets colder it's weeks or months. Before this, was killing myself to hit 7.5 and 80+. After 2 summers, it's still totally wonderful clear water. The most important part is the FC/CYA chart and staying well above the minimums.
I’ll keep that in mind. My TA wants to sit well over 100 it seems. But ph wants to sit around 7.5 since I refilled last month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.