May 2, 2022
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
New pool owner and have been following the TFP method since the start of this season, with great results! Clear waters always! Thanks a lot for all your help.
I was recently looking to replace my pool motor with a Neptune VS motor. My current motor is over heating. I noticed that none of my pool equipment (heater and pump) have anything connected to the bonding lug. I have been reading as much as I can on this forum and outside about bonding.
Per my understanding the pool rebar, any ladders/hand rails, lights and pool equipment should be bonded. This brings them all on the same potential (equi potential bonding). As I didn’t see any bonding wire on the equipment pad, I checked the continuity with a multimeter between my 2 pool ladders. I don’t see any electrical continuity on the ladders :(. This makes me think that bonding was never done on this pool or something broke when the previous owners redid the concrete around the pool. This is an inground pool and has a vinyl liner. So here are my questions -
1. Are vinyl lined IG pools not required to have bonding?
2. Is water bonding an option for me? I can add the water bonding with an approved part from CMP (seen on other threads) and then bond it to the equipment pad. Is that enough?

We have been using the pool for few months now and have never felt any shocks/ tingling. Not saying that all is good, just providing an observation.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this and how I should go about addressing this (if needed). Thanks in advance to the awesome folks here :)

Hi all,

Bonding is required in IG vinyl pools.

2. Is water bonding an option for me? I can add the water bonding with an approved part from CMP (seen on other threads) and then bond it to the equipment pad. Is that enough?

Your bonding grid needs to connect to the water, 4 points in the pool walls, under the deck, and to all pool equipment.

Pool_Bonding.jpg

Hi all,
New pool owner and have been following the TFP method since the start of this season, with great results! Clear waters always! Thanks a lot for all your help.
I was recently looking to replace my pool motor with a Neptune VS motor. My current motor is over heating. I noticed that none of my pool equipment (heater and pump) have anything connected to the bonding lug. I have been reading as much as I can on this forum and outside about bonding.
Per my understanding the pool rebar, any ladders/hand rails, lights and pool equipment should be bonded. This brings them all on the same potential (equi potential bonding). As I didn’t see any bonding wire on the equipment pad, I checked the continuity with a multimeter between my 2 pool ladders. I don’t see any electrical continuity on the ladders :(. This makes me think that bonding was never done on this pool or something broke when the previous owners redid the concrete around the pool. This is an inground pool and has a vinyl liner. So here are my questions -

We have been using the pool for few months now and have never felt any shocks/ tingling. Not saying that all is good, just providing an observation.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this and how I should go about addressing this (if needed). Thanks in advance to the awesome folks here :)
If you have a pool light, open the junction box and see if a bond wire (8ga wire) is there along with the grounds. That will give some indication.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.