I did my own equipment pad--Please criticize !!!

Jul 17, 2009
Was having problems with my existing configuration, see the photo below, the first picture, the one with the dog. I had an awful suction leak that was a struggle to identify. Pump kept running dry, especially when vacuum cleaner was operating. I think the leak came from that inlet valve having a stripped screw hole, but I am not sure. Also, the filter was 20 years old and I never used the backwash valve. My routine is open the filter and clean the grids quarterly.

I have been very frustrated with pool contractors I have hired in the past. Expensive and shoddy work. So I redid all of it myself. Added a heater bypass valve. Probably did not need the second diverting valve for the heater bypass, but put it there anyway. I put in a lot of unions in case I have to change something later. Works fine, suction leak is gone.

Could I have done this better ???

Attachments

• IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 151
full

S,

Great job on using the proper unions on the pump.. :thumleft: They work great and make connections so much easier..

When I do PVC work it looks like some kind of giant purple big-foot did the work.. I noticed yours looks perfect with no PVC glue dripping everywhere.

Tell me your secret and what glue did you use...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Looks good! If that is a heat pump you have covered, from my research, it does more harm than good covering it when not in use.

S,

Great job on using the proper unions on the pump.. :thumleft: They work great and make connections so much easier..

When I do PVC work it looks like some kind of giant purple big-foot did the work.. I noticed yours looks perfect with no PVC glue dripping everywhere.

Tell me your secret and what glue did you use...

Thanks,

Jim R.
The primer is intentionally dyed and supposed to be visible. Later, when the inspector comes by, no purple = failed inspection. The dye lets the inspector know that the installer did use primer.

I used these products below. Both are clear. I found them recommended in a prior post on this forum. Having said that, I was careful not to put too much and wipe off the excess immediately after pushing the pipe into the fitting.

On some of the joints I had to use a slower setting glue, grey colored from Oatey, and that was harder to keep neat.

The unions were similarly found on another post here.

That is a gas heater, and I cover it in the winter to keep the rain, tree leaves, dirt, etc out of it

Thank you everyone...

1611816634680.png1611816652667.png

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks much better!

I am mulling the installation of a Jandy valve controller and some temperature monitors but the electrical wire management at the pad has not jelled in my conscious mind yet. Are you planning to do anything else with the wires now that the PVC is looking orderly?

🙂

Do you think you could have gotten the same results without unions everywhere?
I was looking for a positive way to bring that up. Too many unions. I get the strategy. But a union is an o-ring and an o-ring is a potential failure point. Worth the tiny risk when the benefit is justified. But you have unions in places that allow removal/replacement of parts that will likely never fail, or could be repaired in place, or could be replaced easily by just cutting pipe and reassembling with couplers. They could be cut out and replaced using couplers many times. To me, this does not justify the unions. Unions for the pump, SWG and filter and heater make perfect sense. For a three-way repairable valve? Not so much.

It's a small quibble because you asked for it. They will very likely never cause you any issues (even if they never offer any benefit). Otherwise fine job. You might paint the PVC for a clean professional look and to help keep some UV off the PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.