I can’t get rid of this algae that keeps coming back on the bottom of my vinyl lined pool. Please help!

Do as @Texas Splash described for the steps, also some have had luck with a pressure washer after the bleach.
Many types of steps often need to be modified to prevent becoming algae hotels by adding extra holes for circulation, making sure any weights are completely sealed, & to allow for periodic maintenance like brushing in them etc.

Reactions: PoolMammy
You could try putting a syringe of chlorine in each of the ladder holes when you have it in pool (after you cleaned it & put it back) to keep stuff from growing in there. And definitely complete the SLAM or will keep coming back.

Reactions: PoolMammy and kul
I drilled extra holes in my ladder (1/4", I believe.) Wherever it had "in" holes, I added "out" ones, and vice versa. Both through the legs and the steps themselves. Increases water flow through the ladder by a huge amount.

I use a turkey baster, or a veterinary syringe (used to get nutrition/medication into animal's mouths without needles; costs about $3.00 at any farm supply place.) and use it to squirt LC into every opening in my ladder about once a week or so. This will kill anything in there. Anything above what's needed to "vaccinate" the ladder goes right into the pool to continue the "good fight."

The vet syringe has a smaller opening and seems to work the best for me. It is also all plastic- no glass, so it's pool safe. Incidentally, I also use a separate one as my water sample collector for my testing purposes. Works great for getting those 10ml, 25ml, etc., samples right on the nose.

Note: I used to use red Solo cups for water samples, but I never can find one when I need it. Yet the trash can near the pool always holds several! :cheers:

Good luck!

Reactions: PoolMammy
Do as @Texas Splash described for the steps, also some have had luck with a pressure washer after the bleach.
Many types of steps often need to be modified to prevent becoming algae hotels by adding extra holes for circulation, making sure any weights are completely sealed, & to allow for periodic maintenance like brushing in them etc.
Thank you for the advice thats something that I wouldn’t even think about. 😍
You could try putting a syringe of chlorine in each of the ladder holes when you have it in pool (after you cleaned it & put it back) to keep stuff from growing in there. And definitely complete the SLAM or will keep coming back.
I thought about doing something similar great minds think alike. 😍

Reactions: Britali
I drilled extra holes in my ladder (1/4", I believe.) Wherever it had "in" holes, I added "out" ones, and vice versa. Both through the legs and the steps themselves. Increases water flow through the ladder by a huge amount.

I use a turkey baster, or a veterinary syringe (used to get nutrition/medication into animal's mouths without needles; costs about $3.00 at any farm supply place.) and use it to squirt LC into every opening in my ladder about once a week or so. This will kill anything in there. Anything above what's needed to "vaccinate" the ladder goes right into the pool to continue the "good fight."

The vet syringe has a smaller opening and seems to work the best for me. It is also all plastic- no glass, so it's pool safe. Incidentally, I also use a separate one as my water sample collector for my testing purposes. Works great for getting those 10ml, 25ml, etc., samples right on the nose.

Note: I used to use red Solo cups for water samples, but I never can find one when I need it. Yet the trash can near the pool always holds several! :cheers:

Good luck!
Great advice thank you so much!!

Reactions: ghall6292
Lol I use Beakers & syringes (all plastic). I use the big beaker with cups measured out with sharpie if I need to add cups of MA or chlorine, med beaker to grab the pool water (bring it inside to do my testing all comfy & with AC lol) & a smaller beaker for distilled water & another smaller beaker for meters to sit in while I do other tests. I use the syringe to measure out the water into my smart stir (less messy than the water displacer but did use a small beaker when I used that too). I got the pack with larger syringe too if I ever need to measure out a 25ml sample or shoot chlorine down leg holes lol. 🤣😂😝

SLAM SUCCESSFUL !!!
Thank you all for your advice, tips, tricks, and encouragement!! I really love and appreciate this community!! 🫵🫵🫵🥰😍

Attachments

• 51AFFA76-8533-479D-9E1B-AAA6374B403F.jpeg
    51AFFA76-8533-479D-9E1B-AAA6374B403F.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 3E44669A-1908-40AF-B97C-567CD74D0081.jpeg
    3E44669A-1908-40AF-B97C-567CD74D0081.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 67D56258-6E41-48CF-A752-452275280AA7.jpeg
    67D56258-6E41-48CF-A752-452275280AA7.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 7
  • F28BDBE0-EDED-4A88-9355-976DDC30F4BA.jpeg
    F28BDBE0-EDED-4A88-9355-976DDC30F4BA.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 7
  • 29A50CDE-9A8D-4A34-A4BB-4ADBA5AF836A.jpeg
    29A50CDE-9A8D-4A34-A4BB-4ADBA5AF836A.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 211B1EF7-9B5B-4ACF-8E50-1C77AD717932.jpeg
    211B1EF7-9B5B-4ACF-8E50-1C77AD717932.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 06AFA857-BB0B-4244-BF85-05B3EC6EF91D.jpeg
    06AFA857-BB0B-4244-BF85-05B3EC6EF91D.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 9
  • FA27B407-BDDE-4133-8C45-90A37D3F74FD.jpeg
    FA27B407-BDDE-4133-8C45-90A37D3F74FD.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3F02B0BF-7C1E-4026-9806-6E1A1114EE80.jpeg
    3F02B0BF-7C1E-4026-9806-6E1A1114EE80.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be vigilant in FC management or it might come back.

I would err on the high side for a week or two.

Keep the FC at 15% of the CYA for a week or 2.
Thank you for that advice because I was thinking I probably needed to do something for now but I didn’t really know what.
Be vigilant in FC management or it might come back.

I would err on the high side for a week or two.

Keep the FC at 15% of the CYA for a week or 2.
If my CYA is 40 then chlorine level to keep at 15% is 6ppm ? For example is that correct?

Reactions: JamesW
If my CYA is 40 then chlorine level to keep at 15% is 6ppm ? For example is that correct?
Use the FC/CYA chart for CYA 40. Which displays FC 3 is your minimum, your target range is FC 5 - 7. Think of it like FC 5 is your minimum and keep your FC at or above 7 for a few days or a week.

I also manually chlorinate, and I run a CYA of 50 for the hottest months. That gives me a FC range of 5-8 ppm. I normally run mine a little hot, at 9-9.5 ppm, just in case life gets in the way and I miss a day (or even two!) I have never had an algae bloom, nor have I experienced any damage as a result of doing this. Additionally, by running a little hot, if you get a surprise visit of friends and/or family, (I know- never happens, right???) you know your pool is extra protected for that day.

Our pool is a little larger than yours, at 13,500 gallons. I have learned that if I bring my pool back up to 9-9.5 ppm, I need 17 oz. of chlorine added each day. You'll eventually learn to "read" the water for trouble. It may be possible to skip the test on occasion, and just add your own (learned) amount of chlorine. For only one day, only you will know. 🤫

EDIT: No green hair, no skin melting off, etc. to worry about so far, either. Lol

Enjoy the day!

I also manually chlorinate, and I run a CYA of 50 for the hottest months. That gives me a FC range of 5-8 ppm. I normally run mine a little hot, at 9-9.5 ppm, just in case life gets in the way and I miss a day (or even two!) I have never had an algae bloom, nor have I experienced any damage as a result of doing this. Additionally, by running a little hot, if you get a surprise visit of friends and/or family, (I know- never happens, right???) you know your pool is extra protected for that day.

Our pool is a little larger than yours, at 13,500 gallons. I have learned that if I bring my pool back up to 9-9.5 ppm, I need 17 oz. of chlorine added each day. You'll eventually learn to "read" the water for trouble. It may be possible to skip the test on occasion, and just add your own (learned) amount of chlorine. For only one day, only you will know. 🤫

EDIT: No green hair, no skin melting off, etc. to worry about so far, either. Lol

Enjoy the day!
Sounds like you have definitely got it down to a science!! I am now beginning to think that I may have more trouble than I had thought I did. Yesterday evening I back washed for the first time since I started my slam (my pressure had been holding good it was still holding good yesterday) but I knew I needed to and the darnedest thing happened….. the water ran clear almost the entire time I didn’t ever see any dirty yuck come out at all. The entire time of my slam I never even saw any dead algae at the bottom of my pool. I suspect I have a problem at the filter but I don’t know what to check nor do I know how to check it?? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!!
NOTE: There is and has been for several weeks now sand in the bottom of my pump strainer basket. Well underneath the basket. I have not seen any sand in the pool though.
:crazy:

Last edited:
Sounds like you have definitely got it down to a science!! I am now beginning to think that I may have more trouble than I had thought I did. Yesterday evening I back washed for the first time since I started my slam (my pressure had been holding good it was still holding good yesterday) but I knew I needed to and the darnedest thing happened….. the water ran clear almost the entire time I didn’t ever see any dirty yuck come out at all. The entire time of my slam I never even saw any dead algae at the bottom of my pool. I suspect I have a problem at the filter but I don’t know what to check nor do I know how to check it?? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!!
NOTE: There is and has been for several weeks now sand in the bottom of my pump strainer basket. Well underneath the basket. I have not seen any sand in the pool though.
Did you ever do a deep cleaning of your sand filter? Sand can get clumped together for various reasons & not filter well. It also gives you the opportunity to inspect the multi port valve & gaskets.
The only way that sand would end up in the pump basket is if you vacuumed & it landed there or if the mpv or spider gasket is allowing water to go the wrong direction by not closing off properly.
If you are using the intex sand filter I am not sure how repairable the mpv is. You need to look up the parts diagram on intex & see what replacement parts may be available.

Did you ever do a deep cleaning of your sand filter? Sand can get clumped together for various reasons & not filter well. It also gives you the opportunity to inspect the multi port valve & gaskets.
The only way that sand would end up in the pump basket is if you vacuumed & it landed there or if the mpv or spider gasket is allowing water to go the wrong direction by not closing off properly.
If you are using the intex sand filter I am not sure how repairable the mpv is. You need to look up the parts diagram on intex & see what replacement parts may be available.
The one thing that I have never done regarding a swimming pool is messed with the inside of the sand filter and I’ve had swimming pools the majority of my adult life. The last two that I have had it was filled with sand and closed up while I was running errands. For some reason it scares me to open that thing up but it sounds like I need to. And no …I did not do a cleaning of the filter. FYI…The sand is new, as this is a whole new set up as of the beginning of the summer. Pool and Freshwater and all.

The one thing that I have never done regarding a swimming pool is messed with the inside of the sand filter and I’ve had swimming pools the majority of my adult life. The last two that I have had it was filled with sand and closed up while I was running errands. For some reason it scares me to open that thing up but it sounds like I need to. And no …I did not do a cleaning of the filter. FYI…The sand is new, as this is a whole new set up as of the beginning of the summer. Pool and Freshwater and all.
Pull up the manual & parts diagram so you know what to expect. Watch some YouTube videos of that model being assembled. The intex ones are quite simple. I used to drain mine & dump some of the sand out of it every year so I could store it in the shed.
Just isolate the filter from the plumbing so water doesn’t go everywhere (easy to do if you have valves)
& carefully open her up to inspect the parts & sand level. It may be something very obvious that is out of place. The actual cleaning of the sand may not be necessary if it looks fairly clean. My current sand filter holds 250# of sand & I was dreading opening it & replacing the zeolite with sand but it had to happen. I faced my fear, vacuumed all that Crud out & inspected my laterals & everything. Moved the beast to its new permanent location & carefully replaced everything. If you get stuck or are unsure about something just ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.