I can't find a CYA Thread with a Pic of a "Good" brand. (Found it!!)

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
I seem to remember a thread in the past year that had pics of a Good brand and a Bad brand of CYA..

I think it was posted by one of our experts, but not sure.. It was about the CYA not lasting very long with what the OP was original using, and that after changing brands the problem when away.

In any case, I can't find it... most likely because of my inability to spell anything.. :mrgreen:

Anyone remember the thread I am looking for??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I remember this thread

All of these seem to be the same product & there are reviews about them not working/raising cya levels or not dissolving

Attachments

• IMG_7500.png
    IMG_7500.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7499.png
    IMG_7499.png
    255 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7498.png
    IMG_7498.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Brian PacNW
I think it was posted by one of our experts, but not sure.. It was about the CYA not lasting very long with what the OP was original using, and that after changing brands the problem when away.
@wireform posted findings recently. IIRC, it was about not seeing the expected results from a particular brand.

For what it is worth, I have been using this (from PoolGeek?? I don't remember exactly) last 2 season and they are "ok" - not sure whether the brand issue but my CYA wouldn't increase for a few days then suddenly spike up. (e.g., 20 for a few days after adding / completely dissolved from the "hairnet" in the skimmer then 80). To be fair, the water (without a heater) was around 90 for 2+ weeks during late July / early August.

Attachments

• 20230829_130810.jpg
    20230829_130810.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 3
There was a very short thread in which I complained that Leslie's CYA wasn't hitting PoolMath's numbers.

Reactions: Newdude
I agree that something is wonky with CYA this year, and maybe even from the end of last year.

Last year I picked up a few 4 lbs canisters of "Aquamate" brand CYA from Rural King when I was up in Pennsylvania. The same brand seems to also be sold at Ocean State Job Lot and is produced by Baleco International. I ran out of my Clorox brand CYA earlier in the summer and I've been trying to use the Aquamate stuff. It has been awful. It doesn't dissolve worth a lick, and the amount I add never ends up being what it tests. Whereas the Clorox brand will turn into a mush within 15 minutes, the Aquamate stays in hard granular form even after 24-48 hours of soaking. You have to really knead the sock, and even then, it doesn't appear to do much of anything.

I wondered why I was seeing low chlorine numbers, then realized I was barely at 30 CYA. So not only does it do a terrible job of dissolving, it also seems to "burn up" quickly. Time to go back to the Clorox brand.

Reactions: Hoster and Newdude
I appreciate all the inputs, but so far no joy... :(

I'm hoping the OP sees this thread and responds.

The only thing I remember is a pic of the old product and a of the new product..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Found it...

Thanks everyone..

Jim R.

If you look the MSDS for "Robelle's" Stabilizer (one of the many names that garbage CYA is being sold under, all in the same packaging), it states the manufacturer is Suncoast Chemicals out of FL. However - Suncoast does not list CYA as a product they currently produce. I have a feeling that MSDS is old and that all of the bad CYA is now being sourced from Wego Chemicals, who is listed as the manufacturer on the MSDS for the Aquamate brand, among others.

That would explain why certain members reported one can/bag being fine, and then the next one is junk. I bet Suncoast stopped producing it, and everyone switched to Wego.

@Mdragger88 I have had excellent success with Robelle...both price and performance (dissolving and hitting target)...everyone's MMV.

img_7499-png.525874

Which is odd because that's the same "brand" as PoolRx. Maybe there are multiple manufacturers and it's just whoever they get to supply them at any given time.

Reactions: Newdude
Which is odd because that's the same "brand" as PoolRx. Maybe there are multiple manufacturers and it's just whoever they get to supply them at any given time.
I think this is probably it & none of these people are actually the manufacturer. They just package it with their name on it. On occasion in the reviews you’ll notice the bag is the same but instead of the brand being printed on the bag it’s a sticker. Like everything else these days it’s a crapshoot really. Quality control is bleak - we the consumers are the product testers now.
Some reviewers even reported that not only did it not increase their cya as expected but instead increased their fc! That’s the scary part to me.

For what it's worth, I bought another 8lb of "Clorox" brand CYA last night. Quickly got mushy just as expected, dissolved very easily. Will test the actual levels later today, but I'm done with the other granules.

Reactions: Mdragger88
bought another 8lb of "Clorox" brand CYA last night. Quickly got mushy just as expected, dissolved very easily.
I've had good experiences with them also. I found that temp makes a huge difference with dissolving. Early and late season it bricks up but mid season its mush in 5 mins, even with my small Watermelon sized doses tied up in a Tshirt.

Screenshot_20230928_120901_Gallery.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.