Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
The routine for years, to date:
Drain the pool in the fall (late-Oct) below the jets. Snow (mostly) refills it, some years too much. Open in April, about the same time the ice goes out on the local lakes. If lucky, lots of dirt but not green. Other years I waited even a bit too long and it is bright green. Lots and lots of chlorine and vac to waste/backwashing over 3+ weeks and all is good. Then comes the pine pollen. Followed by elms/cottonwoods/maples. All of that extends through June. More waste/backwashing, deep sand filter cleaning. CYA at most about 10. Temp between 40-60 as the spring progresses. 3" tab feeder ineffective until temps rise enough to actually start dissolving tabs. And it is usually plugged and needs a new check valve. Finally by Memorial day it may be good to go, with some help from the heater for that weekend. By the 4th, usually very good, unless I was inattentive and it got away from me... July/August very good and stable and needs no heat. CYA from the feeder climbs as time goes on. Tab feed on its own maintains FC at about 3, so augment with liquid Cl, rather than turn up the feeder. Weakish SLAM when CC gets to .5 Can take a week if FC is 15-20, CYA 40-50 , to drop back to around FC 6-8. Only issue is a big thunderstorm adding 2-4 inches, and killing the Cl levels....plus the dirt it introduces., which can happen a few times. Finally Labor Day, when temps begin to cool and weather/pool get too cool for use unless I turn on the heat. Stays good until shutdown, with CYA climbing to 60+, but as long as algae doesn't show, who cares - even the dogs stop using it as it is getting too cold. Have to shutdown/cover before Halloween as we are known to get snow, even blizzards (rarely) then....

So - would a SWG help at all, especially in the early season when temps are cool and dirt loads extremely high? Likely will need a good bit of salt replacement due to all the filling/cleaning. Is plugging due to all the junk a concern? I discharge to a back corner of my lot - will salt build up be bad for the plantings in that area over years? (For the big fall lowering, I pump to a street storm drain) Or will it primarily be of benefit only over the Memorial Day to Labor day period? Cost to install/have could buy a lot of tabs and liquid Cl. Having a well regulated Cl/CYA level would reduce workload and is very appealing, but would it really reduce it much, give my abbreviated pool season?

would a SWG help at all, especially in the early season when temps are cool and dirt loads extremely high?
Only for the convenience of not having to add liquid chlorine. You have a relatively short swim season with lots of water exchange. As you noted, the salt (and CYA) would need to be replenished at times. Is it worth an SWG? Really a personal call. If you are consistent with liquid each evening, no big deal for about 4 - 5 months. But if you feel your work or personal schedule will take you away from the pool for 2-3 days at a time, then an SWG may be your ticket to consistency and clear water.

Drain the pool in the fall (late-Oct) below the jets. Snow (mostly) refills it, some years too much. Open in April, about the same time the ice goes out on the local lakes. If lucky, lots of dirt but not green. Other years I waited even a bit too long and it is bright green. Lots and lots of chlorine and vac to waste/backwashing over 3+ weeks and all is good. Then comes the pine pollen. Followed by elms/cottonwoods/maples. All of that extends through June. More waste/backwashing, deep sand filter cleaning. CYA at most about 10. Temp between 40-60 as the spring progresses. 3" tab feeder ineffective until temps rise enough to actually start dissolving tabs. And it is usually plugged and needs a new check valve. Finally by Memorial day it may be good to go, with some help from the heater for that weekend. By the 4th, usually very good, unless I was inattentive and it got away from me... July/August very good and stable and needs no heat. CYA from the feeder climbs as time goes on. Tab feed on its own maintains FC at about 3, so augment with liquid Cl, rather than turn up the feeder. Weakish SLAM when CC gets to .5 Can take a week if FC is 15-20, CYA 40-50 , to drop back to around FC 6-8. Only issue is a big thunderstorm adding 2-4 inches, and killing the Cl levels....plus the dirt it introduces., which can happen a few times. Finally Labor Day, when temps begin to cool and weather/pool get too cool for use unless I turn on the heat. Stays good until shutdown, with CYA climbing to 60+, but as long as algae doesn't show, who cares - even the dogs stop using it as it is getting too cold. Have to shutdown/cover before Halloween as we are known to get snow, even blizzards (rarely) then....

So - would a SWG help at all, especially in the early season when temps are cool and dirt loads extremely high? Likely will need a good bit of salt replacement due to all the filling/cleaning. Is plugging due to all the junk a concern? I discharge to a back corner of my lot - will salt build up be bad for the plantings in that area over years? (For the big fall lowering, I pump to a street storm drain) Or will it primarily be of benefit only over the Memorial Day to Labor day period? Cost to install/have could buy a lot of tabs and liquid Cl. Having a well regulated Cl/CYA level would reduce workload and is very appealing, but would it really reduce it much, give my abbreviated pool season?
The problem you will have with a swg is that the water temp has to be 60+ degrees F. So unless you run the heater, you will not generate.

I think the trend of your water is on the cool and probably cloudy weather side, and that helps to preserve your chlorine assuming your CYA is in spec. So that goes to gallons per year used, vs the SWG's constant battle with water balance due to rain. If it were my pool, I would stick with jugs of chlorine with your CYA in spec.

Wasn't aware of the temp limits for a SWG. Figured since it was an electro/chemical reaction could crank it way up in the spring, lowering generation as I got close to swim season. The only good thing about the location/climate here - it is very slow to drop Cl levels with the lowish rate of tab contribution, so even on a hot sunny week I can start out at around 10-12, and only be down to 5-6 by the next weekend. Of course, as CYA builds over the season that may be too low, but I rarely have to test more than twice a week....(unless those thunderstorms come through...) Guess there's not much to do to lower the attention level more, unless I go crazy with automated systems and chem feeders (NOT!).

I am in Toronto and love my SWCG. My pool is covered from roughly Oct 15 - May 15 each year. Adding Cl all the time is a pain in the butt. I have to do very little adjusting once my pool is up and running and I get the CYA back up to 60 or so - maybe add MA once per month as the pH creeps up. SWCG ppols are almost maintenance free - at least mine is.

Reactions: Lanzz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.