Hypochlorous Acid

I'm confused...what is the issue?

The ChlorKing products are just a big, commercial grade SWG's that uses high salinity and high current to produce a lot of chlorine gas. There's nothing here that's all that new....just bigger and higher power. Not sure I would ever want a system like that hooked up to a residential pool...

Reactions: Flying Tivo

Allen, thanks.
So we can call it either way depending on PH without cya, which is not the case for us. Then claims that hypochlorus acid is better is half the truth. Darn COVID, just making me look further down the rabbit hole.
thanks

It’s marketing nonsense. Hypochlorous only exists in solution at low pH and is not stable at high concentrations. I can make hypochlorous acid in a bucket - add bleach to the water and then drop the pH below 5. The problem is, hypochlorous acid will rapidly convert to chlorine gas which is more stable at low pH. This why you never add acid to bleach - it causes the hypochlorite to convert to hypochlorous acid which then converts to chlorine gas.

Every SWG operates the same way - the electrolytic cell generates chlorine gas at the anode and hydrogen gas at the cathode. The chlorine gas rapidly dissolves into the water and hydrates to form a mixture of HOCl/OCl- that is pH dependent and the hydrogen gas bubbles out of the return (hydrogen is not soluble in water). That’s it.

Is it marketing Hype?
It's a specious claim.

It's intentionally misleading (in my opinion).

Regardless of the form of chlorine added, it all reaches the same basic equilibrium based on the pH and the amount of cyanuric acid in the water.

It's analogous to the claim that trichlor is better than hypochlorite because trichlor is stabilized and will last longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.