The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Do most pools come with hydrostatic relief valves/plugs? I'm wondering if I need (or want) them for my new build. Looks like the water table in my area is between 40 and 125 feet below the surface (The Woodlands, TX).

It really depends on that water table. In your area, 40 ft may sound like a long way down until another Harvey comes up from the Gulf. Over-saturation is the concern. So a HRV or relief plug might be something to consider if you ever have to lower the water level in your pool for maintenance. Your county or local pool builders should have some good info to help you make that decision.

It really depends on that water table. In your area, 40 ft may sound like a long way down until another Harvey comes up from the Gulf. Over-saturation is the concern. So a HRV or relief plug might be something to consider if you ever have to lower the water level in your pool for maintenance. Your county or local pool builders should have some good info to help you make that decision.

Thanks! If I ever need to drain, I would definitely avoid doing it after a huge downpour.

There are other factors to consider, such as soil composition, drainage, etc... I am no pool builder, but I have seen one float a foot out of the ground, halfway down a very long hill nowhere near the water table. I'd put them in. Better safe than sorry.

How many plugs are normally installed? Is one in the middle of the deep end sufficient?
I generally think of one HS valve in a drain, but there may other considerations based on pre-build/pre-install engineering concerns. @jimmythegreek any thoughts?

Should the plug be exposed or lightly plastered over to prevent potential leaks/aesthetics? I imagine hardly ever (maybe never) using it. I won't have a main drain.

I think I would want a plug instead of a valve with a spring. That way, I have simple, full control and avoid the risk of the valve failing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anybody installing a concrete pool needs provisions for a hydrostatic valve. Foolish not to have one. Usually in the main drain but if not using them they have a catch box with lid. How deep of a pool?

Deepest is 5 feet. Here is my planned build:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.