Hurricane Shutter Suggestions?

LapPoolMike

Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2017
Saint Petersburg, FL
Hi,
Anybody out there have hurricane shutters on your house? I want to add some shutters that are "Hurricane Protection Type" that are strong enough to meet the current Miami-Dade building code (hopefully to maximize my homeowner's insurance discount!), but are also simple to store/put up and something I could install myself without too much fuss. My house is concrete block, built in 1966, on the waterfront.

Any suggestions of type, manufacturer or seller to look at? Of course would like to get good value for the $ (buy shutters "factory direct"?) to have more $ to spend on the pool! What shutters do you have? How do you like them?

Thanks,
LPM

I'd look into the kevlar sheets they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot. There are a lot of youtube videos on the different kinds of hurricane shutters with pro's & con's of each.

The roll up shutters look nice but really don't provide as much protection as you think plus imagine all those gears rusting in our warm, humid, salt air here in Florida. When you really need them the gears can be rusted and what a pain that is at such an inopportune time.

The kevlar sheets are cut for each window, don't take up much room for storage and very lightweight. They can cover larger areas too like patios.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.