Hurricane Irma Problems!

DebbieC

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
Naples/FL
I'm having problems with my pool after Irma. We got hit head on but luckily our house was mostly protected by neighbors. We were out of power for 11 days. I cleaned the pool from all the debris and mostly stones from the shingles of the roof. It was great for a week as I used bleach and muriatic acid. My son used it as a tub and used Dove soap. Once the electric was back on we set up the SWG and sand filter. All seemed well but after a few days I noticed green on the bottom. I brushed and vacuumed all day last Saturday literally as a large portion of my pool was pitted last year from pucks. Well, it's green again and we were losing an inch of water a day. (Can't find a leak?) I leave for work when it's dark and when I get home I have a small window before dusk and don't want to be out there then due to mosquitoes or Cane Toads (I always thought of a toad as something small...not in this case).

HELP!

FC on the low side for that CYA. You should SLAM Process; but with a CYA of 90 it will be problematic. You also would need to test and dose with liquid chlorine many times per day to be successful.

Any chance you can replace about 50% of your water? Would make your SLAM easier to be successful.

Take care.

FC on the low side for that CYA. You should SLAM Process; but with a CYA of 90 it will be problematic. You also would need to test and dose with liquid chlorine many times per day to be successful.

Any chance you can replace about 50% of your water? Would make your SLAM easier to be successful.

Take care.

I think I can. It's already lost a lot for some reason. I'll run to the store and get bleach galore; whatever else I need for SLAM and another bag of salt for the SWG.

Thank you!

You did say you might have a leak. Would be good to address that first. You have a sand filter, be sure your multivalve is not leaking.

You should turn off your SWCG during a SLAM so no need for salt until you get the algae battled.

Take care.

Regarding algae: I just read SherrieDee's post and her algae problem came from Hurricane Harvey...do you think it's some kind of strange hurricane "thing"? that came from the sky we are getting? Both of us have high numbers that don't seem to make sense for CYA and not balancing with the FC.

Pool leak: Is there any kind of rubberized paint that I could paint on the bottom of the pool where it's pitted to make it smooth and probably cover the leak? (I think my heavy scrubbing to get the dirt out of the pits caused the leak. I may just have to drain it completely now? I poured 183 oz of bleach in late afternoon yesterday and vacuumed and swept. I will check everything as soon as the sun comes up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems to me it may be time to replace the liner then :( If it is pitted or etched water will leak out and cause problems with the pool base over time. Over time the bottom may give way. That could be scary if someone is in the pool when it happens :shock: I am sorry to say I really don't think you could paint/put anything on the bottom to fix it.

Seems to me it may be time to replace the liner then :( If it is pitted or etched water will leak out and cause problems with the pool base over time. Over time the bottom may give way. That could be scary if someone is in the pool when it happens :shock: I am sorry to say I really don't think you could paint/put anything on the bottom to fix it.

Thank you Kim. I decided to empty it because I can tell the water is coming from the bottom. I put the hose out about an hour ago.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure how long it will be before we get another one so I guess it's sayonara for now. I'm a little sad because I spent the summer hard plumbing it and even made a table. Hopefully I can use the same sand filter and swg I bought also. It sure was a money pit but I enjoyed my time out there.

Thank you everyone that has helped me all year.

I have a sad for you BUT you can get good deals on left overs this time of year! I hope you look into getting a new one!!! With all that you have learned it will be SO easy with your new one and it will last a lot longer!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

I have a sad for you BUT you can get good deals on left overs this time of year! I hope you look into getting a new one!!! With all that you have learned it will be SO easy with your new one and it will last a lot longer!!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Debbie/Kim,

Reading this thread is just sad. I know nothing about above ground pools but did a little searching and found as usual Kim's right! Don't know if this will help but they seem to sell liners that go inside your current pool liner. End of year close out for $159. Warranty is 20 years! Here's a link to the one I found and maybe more checking will find an even better deal.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.