Hurricane Harvey

It depends, how will you handle the rain water? Can your pool area flood or do you need to manage the runoff? If you can drain a few inches of water, that can help to keep the pool from overflowing. In any case, you should raise your FC to SLAM levels so that if/when the power goes out, you can handle a few days. Adding bleach and brushing with a wall brush should be adequate for a few days without the pump.

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly, make sure that YOU AND YOUR FAMILY are safe....a pool can always be fixed, your safety is much more important.

Ok folks, first storm with a pool.

any suggestions on preparation for pool in case we loose power???

I have plenty of bleach muriatic acid and baking soda. Lol

Some reports say Pearland May get close to 20 inches of rain. Not sure how much you can do to prep for that!!??

It’s going to overflow and may stay topped off for a while even with an overflow drain. I’d bring it up to shock and do what my family in Pearland did and head to DFW!! Good luck!

Are you gonna have to worry about your yard flooding to the point where your pool is "underwater"? Not exactly sure how to phrase that, so hope you understand what I mean. Also, with a potential of 20"+, is your pump gonna be underwater? Might want to intentionally turn off your pump to make sure it doesn't short out. Most pumps are "drip proof", so rain won't hurt it, but they aren't meant to be run when they're submerged and can short out. Also, one reason I'm glad I have an above ground pool... probably never have to worry about it flooding to the point where there's 48"+ of standing water, lol.

q2ez0.jpg

If your Viking is like mine (without a main drain), it will overfill. No worries though. A couple days won't hurt anything. Earlier today I pumped-up my FC with some extra bleach. Once the heavy bands of rain begin and get consistent, I'll shut-off my pump breaker only because the area where my pump is can get a bit soggy. But for the next 2-3 days it will be fine with extra bleach, cloud cover to help preserve FC, and the occasional pump-out to lower the water level if needed. Make sure to secure any lose items around the pool so there are no airborne furniture darts flying around. You can regroup and check everything once Harvey gets out of Texas. Have a safe weekend!

Make sure to secure any lose items around the pool so there are no airborne furniture darts flying around.

Lol, that brings back memories of living in Savannah through some particularly bad hurricanes. Forget to remove the patio umbrella one time during a hurricane, and next thing you know, you're playing lawn darts with a dart twice your size.

Someone from Pearland! Moved to Phoenix from Pearland 3 years ago. Been through Alison (didn't flood house), Rita evacuation (ugh!), and Claudette in Alvin when younger with my parents (Still a record). I don't miss that. But it is 113 deg today here. Hope everything goes OK the next few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pump won't submerge but any danger in it running in constant rain?
The motor casing should keep everything dry. If for some reason any moisture does get inside, it should trip the breaker. At that point just leave it off.

In my pool in Austin, the water has risen to the bottom of the coping stones. There is an overflow drain, but the rain is coming faster than it can drain and isn't predicted to let up any time soon. If this continues, I'm feeling pretty confident the pool will be overflowing tomorrow. The windows are rattling and the rain is pounding sooooo I'm not going outside to mess with a multiport. My plan is to deal with it when the storm passes...in several days. Is there anything special I need to worry about with that?

My plan is to deal with it when the storm passes...in several days. Is there anything special I need to worry about with that?
Not really. Perhaps shut-off power to the pump if it looks like it may get submerged. Other than that, wait it out and be safe.

Someone from Pearland! Moved to Phoenix from Pearland 3 years ago. Been through Alison (didn't flood house), Rita evacuation (ugh!), and Claudette in Alvin when younger with my parents (Still a record). I don't miss that. But it is 113 deg today here. Hope everything goes OK the next few days.
I think we just broke Claudette's record! The amount of water is insane!

When you suggest turning off the pump, do you mean if the yard floods and the equipment pad would be submerged?
Exactly. Pump housings are made to handle some external rain and moisture, but not to be under water. Be safe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.