Huge Pasture Behind Pool- Farm Dust, Pollen or Mustard Algae?

Soybonita

Jul 28, 2021
Austin
Hey there y'all! New to having a pool this year and have been dealing with brownish yellow dust for the past month or so. I have used Yellow Out and done the full cycle and Green to Clean and done the full cycle and am still dealing with the same issue. There is a fine yellow brown dust coating the entire bottom of my pool, no halos or spots, just solid coating. If I vacuum daily with the skimmer sock on the vacuum I can get it all up, but then it immediately starts to come back. It gets on the side where there are creases in the vinyl (we are renting or I would have already replaced the liner because it desperately needs it, loads of creases on the sides and bottom). I cannot get a pool professional to come out to save my life. I have no problem paying a pro to teach me, there are just no pros available. If I just brush the sides and walls instead of vacuuming it suspends in the water and turns the water green. If I just brush a particular spot it stays clear for a bit then starts getting a layer again just lighter, you can clearly see the line where it was moved. The whole pool is in direct sunlight the majority of the day. I just got a Taylor 2006 kit and have been testing this past week. I started SLAMMING the pool last night. TA- 100 PH-7.2 CYA-40 is where I started. I am keeping it at the 16ppm level for the SLAM. My question is could this be Pollen or Farm Dust instead of Mustard Algae and how do I tell? When I was previously shocking the pool the dust was still there (I didn't get the levels to SLAM levels though) There is constantly pollen floating on the top and my allergies have been killing me. Our fence is about 3 feet from the pool and is more a cattle fence then a privacy fence. Right behind the fence is a huge pasture land. There are about 15-20 cattle that roam out there daily. They will come right up to the fence to munch on grass often. We also have a large tree right outside the fence that they like to chill under. None of the pictures I've seen of Mustard Algae looks like what we have but I've also never seen pollen look like this. I just recently saw posts about farm dust and am not sure if maybe that's the case! Help please.

Yes, I have to constantly clean my outdoor tables and sweep the back patio but they are under an overhang so it's not as bad. The area that is uncovered is a wooden deck so it's not as noticeable and most of the rest of the back is grass so it's hard to tell, I'm so confused. Our yard slants down from the deck to back fence so we are slightly raised above the field and it is always super windy. Walking into the back yard aggravates my allergies to no end, that's also why I wonder about the allergens (dust, pollen, etc).

Hi, welcome to TFP! Are you seeing the same dust accumulating on the deck around the pool or any outside furniture you may have?
Also, I probably should have mentioned I have a table on the patio that stays covered for the most part. It rained a week or two ago and water pooled on the top of the cover. When I lifted the cover up to get the water off, the water that came off it was the same yellow brown that is in the pool.

Since you are seeing the same thing accumulate on the outside of the pool, it is not mustard algae. Probably dust or pollen, but you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure. Since this is windblown dust you would need something to block the wind around the pool to reduce the amount of dust/pollen getting blown into the water. You might try getting some shade sail fabric and make a "wall" or plant some fast growing shrubs to block some of the wind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.