Huge 34' sanitary sewer easement halts our dig. Advice appreciated.

I doubt you will ever have an issue with the easement, but, as someone else pointed out, you may have issues when you go to sell. And, it will always be a cloud over the house. If it was me, I would design so no part of the easement is encroached. Then you have peace of mind.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
i see no reason to not build as shown. the only thing on the line is the retaining wall. I cant see in your pics if the grade is being held up by the retianing wall or the wall is holding back the grade to the house/pool. either way the line is supposedly deep according to you, its never going to get touched and in any case they would abandon the line and just reset a new one near it. if adjusting it doesnt bother you then go for it. if it does, go for it as planned, you have permits in hand. regardless the site survey of your house would show all this and it was not examined very well by PB or whomever if this was just found

Thanks for all the advice. It looks as if the sanitary sewer drainage pipe (green circles) is further away from the easement line (pink circles) than we had thought, fortunately. Pretty certain we are going to keep the same footprint and just shift and shrink the pool slightly to not go over the sewer pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5283.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 29
A good friend had a backyard that had a major slope, he basically built a retaining wall and it became the edge of his pool. best part is because of the height off the ground he was not required to fence that section of the pool. Now he is on a golf course so this is food for thought.

Just an idea, there is also a build thread for a new pool in Austin where the owner used a major build up for solving his issue.

Attachments

• 20130824_185748.jpg
    20130824_185748.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 36
Back to the original posters problem - I like the idea of moving your pool just a bit and turning it to match the easement line - make the retaining wall follow the same line...Keep the pool as big as you can, even if you have to move it and turn it a little.

My pool builder's exact recommendation. Do you think it will look ok having the pool and retaining wall paralleling the (invisible) easement line rather than the house? The angle is not that much different, so I doubt it will be noticeable.

Also, we got civil engineers involved and they determined that it would be acceptable for our wall to extend approximately 6' beyond the easement line. So that's a definite plus!

A good friend had a backyard that had a major slope, he basically built a retaining wall and it became the edge of his pool. best part is because of the height off the ground he was not required to fence that section of the pool. Now he is on a golf course so this is food for thought.

Just an idea, there is also a build thread for a new pool in Austin where the owner used a major build up for solving his issue.
I like the grounds keeping crew near that pool..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.