Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Looks like a bunch of people took advantage of the recent sale on DSP (here, here, and here), and I'm no different. I installed my CircuPool RJ-45+ myself this weekend.
20200504_082907.jpg...20200504_082917.jpg
This was my first time working with PVC. How's it look? I've been running the filter overnight and no water has leaked, so I think I did alright. My last join was the flange right beneath the cell, and I had to make it "shallow" because I left a little too much room for the cell. I'm the most worried about that one, but so far it is holding up.

The controller is somewhat poorly positioned, but I'll move it, probably before the year is done, when I get around to installing a new subpanel and automation system.

Looks good man! Seems I used a lot more purple solvent than you lol. If it hasn't leaked yet, you should be ok. PVC is pretty foolproof when the primer and glue are applied all over, so a bit shallow shouldn't hurt. I had a small leak on my bottom union but I loosened and tightened it back up to fix it. Did you wire the box with your pump, or wire it to be hot all the time?

Reactions: jfreeman
I wired it with the pump as well. The guy on the phone from DSP assured me it could be done either way, but it would most likely need to be always hot if you have a VS pump. I just didn't feel comfortable only relying on the flow switch for now.

I thought the 8 AWG ground wire it called for was a bit excessive seeing as my pumps ground was the next size smaller. Also I didn't care for the power wire setup. I wish there was provisions for conduit to make it water tight at both ends like my pump. Since its already terminated at the control box end, I had but piece together a metal elbow with a rubber penetrator grommet. Ugly but it works.

Yeah, I'm hoping the power wire is safe. On the timer end, because I was replacing an existing SWCG, I just cut the existing conduit and turned it to point down.

Nice installation especially for no PVC experience! Turning down the power supply should prevent water intrusion and you may also find a grommet that will help. I'd leave it wired to the pump power supply since this provides a level of protection from running with no flow. If you switch to a VS drive some day there are ways to provide the same protection.

Chris

Looks great! I have mine wired off the same panel but not the same breaker. I did add stickers to my pump and panel reminding me to check SWG before killing power.
But Discount salt said the flow sensors have improved and not to worry..
But My pump runs 24x7 on 1800 rpm so unless I kill power it should never shut off

Nice glue job for a first timer. Don't know if your system is facing south or very sun exposed but you might want to paint the pvc when your all done to add some sunscreen protection. PVC will eventually die in direct sun exposure in the south (turns slightly pink and gets brittle) I also have the Circupool RJ45 (not plus model), my second Circupool setup. You might want to flip the cell 180 so power wires are facing down to reduce water infiltration chances. Many here recommend the cell be hooked up to a timer or other secondary means of removing power other than just the flow switch for safety. There is proof here that one blew up (literately) by traping the explosive gas emitted. DSP tech guys told me that can't happen unless its plumbed wrong with isolation valves or something of the like and trapping the gasses, or boiling the water out of the cell and creating a explosive gas bubble. I have mine working only on flow switch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks good. I'm jealous that it looks so vertical compared to what I recently installed. Yours too, @gary300.

One question– it looks like you used DWV elbows for the two in the back. Was that a conscious choice of just a supply convenience? I wonder if there should be some concern about it being under pressure. Of course, Sch 40 PVC is way overrated for the pressures in a pool application anyway.

Wow that look s great. I just completed piecing together a vertical setup and I got purple spots everywhere. I haven’t actually installed it yet. I was thinking of running power off VS pump, that means the SWG will always have power and the flow switch will be the on/off only, is that ok to do? That really is the best option for my set up currently. But I could also switch to 120 and plug in the outlet near by. To me that seems less streamlined. I have read that lots of people bout timers in line but having the VS pump with it own timer to me the adding timer Add a point of failure too.

One question– it looks like you used DWV elbows for the two in the back. Was that a conscious choice of just a supply convenience? I wonder if there should be some concern about it being under pressure. Of course, Sch 40 PVC is way overrated for the pressures in a pool application anyway.

Totally an accident due to my ignorance! I wrote a longer explanation in another thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.