Howdy y'all, owned a pool for about a year in the Austin, TX area.

uncommitted

May 16, 2020
Dripping Springs, TX
Not really having too many problems, but thought I'd come by and introduce myself.

I'm Wil, and I live in Dripping Springs, TX... just about 30 miles outside Austin.

We've got a 26,000 gallon pool and are about to replace an aging DE filter with a cartridge filter. I was leaning towards sand (we use one for rain collection so I'm a little familiar) but a pool guy made a pretty good case for the cartridge. Not a real fan of the DE stuff, and seems the cartridge does filter down to 10-15 microns and just needs to be rinsed off occasionally.

He did bring up this ozone stuff, I don't know that I'm on board with that. I've seen a few articles here and seems like y'all aren't either. Thing is, my wife has psoriasis so she's pretty sensitive to chemicals and such. Do you all have any thoughts on this? I need to balance sanitization, algae (lots of pollen here), and sensitive skin somehow.... thoughts on techniques here?

To this point we've been feeding chlorine when required and a weekly thing from Leslies a pool guy recommended. Things have been okay (except the DE filter is feeding some DE back into the pool) but I thought I'd say "hello" to y'all and see if there's anything I might could be doing better?

Thanks in advanced!

Welcome!!!

First thing is to get a test kit. Someone will post a link for test kits compared. I would just go to TFKits and get a TF-100 with a SpeedStir. That will start you at just over $100 so you get free shipping. With that and advice from here you will be able to keep the water nice and sanitary and not harsh for your wife.

Also dont buy anymore weekly stuff from Leslies you can use up whatever you have left it doesn’t hurt, but it is expensive and does not do much. What you save in the perfect weekly will more than pay for the test kit.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Chlorine is actually good for a lot of skin conditions. I know it helps with eczema. I would ditch the ozone idea. An outdoor pool gets plenty of ozone from the sun, and proper chlorine levels will oxidize any organics that get in the pool. If you do go ahead with the cartridge filter, you will want to plumb in a little valve with a "T" between the pump and filter so you will have an option to vacuum to waste. It comes in handy if you every need to drain the pool or need vacuum out heavy debris without loading down the filter.

We've been using strips for the pool in lieu of a test kit. Probably not as accurate but it's been working out pretty okay.

Good idea on the T, that's the one thing that's been bothering me. Way it rains out here sometimes, just this morning I had to drain 2" out of the pool.

Reactions: zea3
Well you wont get much support for “guess” strips out here. A good test kit will be the best/cheapest investment in your pool. You can save yourself a lot of time and headache. Ask me how I know.

Your pool, your choice. I would suggest start by reading this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.