Howdy y'all from Houston, TX

Bhaywood081882

Oct 4, 2019
Tomball, TX
Just kidding, I don't normally say howdy, and contrary to most beliefs, I don't even own a single pair of cowboy boots or a cowboy hat LOL! The fam and I just moved into a house that has a 10 year old gunite/plaster pool. It was previously a salt water pool, but I haven't added any salt, due to the how highly corrosive it can be. Since doing a little bit of research on here, I don't think I need to convert the system over to a chlorinator, since it appears I can just add all necessary chemicals directly into the pool. I just bought a TF-100 test kit, so I'm very curious to see where all of my levels are. Anyways, I'm sure you will hear from me again, because I'm sure my levels are highly out of whack! Take care!

It was previously a salt water pool, but I haven't added any salt, due to the how highly corrosive it can be.

Welcome to TFP.

Every pool is a salt water pool. If you use liquid chlorine for every 10 ppm of FC you will add 16 ppm of salt. If your pool uses 3ppm of chlorine a day the salt in your pool would have increased by 2000 ppm in a year if you don’t replace any water.

At the 3000 ppm level a SWG requires the water is 10% of the salt level of sea water. Many of us use SWGs and our pools are not crumbling from corrosion.

For more read... Salt_at_Pool_Levels_Does_Not_Cause_Metal_Corrosion

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and look at Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
Welcome to H-Town! Don't feel bad about not owning cowboy hats or boots- I've been here almost 3 years and haven't bought them yet.

Welcome to TFP.

Every pool is a salt water pool. If you use liquid chlorine for every 10 ppm of FC you will add 16 ppm of salt. If your pool uses 3ppm of chlorine a day the salt in your pool would have increased by 2000 ppm in a year if you don’t replace any water.

At the 3000 ppm level a SWG requires the water is 10% of the salt level of sea water. Many of us use SWGs and our pools are not crumbling from corrosion.

For more read... Salt_at_Pool_Levels_Does_Not_Cause_Metal_Corrosion

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and look at Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Thanks! I'm not adding any salt, and I turned the SWG completely off. I'm just adding chlorine (bleach directly in). Although, the CH level is at 475, so I'm looking at doing a partial drain soon. The timing works out well with not having to run the sprinklers for the yard, and having a ridiculous water bill :)

Suggestion. Get the salt level test. Just for a start, take a water sample to Leslie's. Maybe get your chlorine generator looked at. You may be able to just turn that back on and let it make your chlorine for you. BTW, if you're using bleach, it shouldn't be Clorox or scented. Leslie's 12.5% chlorine is $16, which is cheaper than Walmart, more convenient because it comes four gallons to a box, and well...you don't have to go to Walmart to get it. But seriously, until you get your test kit, I've found the Leslie's just south of I-10 on Mason Road to provide pretty accurate tests. I've three times now done my own T100 test, then taken gone to Leslie's and gotten very close to the same numbers. They can tell you the salt concentration too. Remember to get your sample with the pump running, at the deep end of the pool and from about 18 inches or so from the surface. I use Leslie's chlorine, but in the next year or two, I may switch to a salt chlorine generator. For sure, if I already had one, I'd see if it works.