Howdy. New Member, no clue what I’m doing.

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
Buddy recommended this site and it’s incredible. I would put more in my signature line but I’m still learning exactly what I have. I think my pool is around 47,000 gallons. Not sure how my equipment works. I bought the k-2006 test kit and some chlorine tabs. Also bought some pool perfect on the advice of the previous owner. The hose on the pressure cleaner broke the second day I owned the house and two days later the adapter in to the wall broke. So we are off to a good start.

Attachments

• A3BA9A16-092A-4B3E-B103-954B63436C72.png
    A3BA9A16-092A-4B3E-B103-954B63436C72.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 98
My very rough estimate was 50’x27’x5’ average depth. I will get more precise measurements today. Going to post some photos of the equipment.

In the photos - I know the far left is for the waterfall. Heater for the pool and spa is brand new. Control panel inside is Blue Haven BH6100 (which I believe is actually an aqua link?)

Attachments

• D615AD18-2D98-4D60-B6DF-1F6C3AD8EBA8.jpeg
    D615AD18-2D98-4D60-B6DF-1F6C3AD8EBA8.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 108ED962-33C6-49F2-A65B-2A2B9BFD58BA.jpeg
    108ED962-33C6-49F2-A65B-2A2B9BFD58BA.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 57
Welcome.

How are you testing your water chemistry?

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Some reading ...

You got a good test kit, start posting up full test results, and the experts here will help.

My only advice, ditch the tablets. They increase your CYA over time and eventually the FC requirements will be too high to maintain a sanitized pool. Liquid Chlorine adds no CYA, or anything else, other than chlorine! I made the mistake of chlorine tablets last year (first year I had the pool with a house I bought), and I ended up with SKYHIGH CYA. Switched to LC this year and my pool is now TROUBLE FREE!

Ok. Attempted my first test. Followed the directions but not sure I did it right. I have my pool at 32,000 gallons. Water temp is 85.

2.2 ppm free chrlorine
No combined chlorine present.
Ph 7.8
TA 150 ppm (on this it said put in drops until red - is it actually red or pink?)
CYI was 370 ppm

On the test where you drip cloudy water in to the small vile, it says to do so until you can’t see the black dot. Well I don’t have s black dot....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet you meant to type CH (Calcium Hardness) is 370 ppm
TA - you keep adding drops as long as color keep changing. At the end subtract last drop that didn't cause any color change.
CYA - (the cloudy water test) you are supposed to drip the mixture of 50% pool water and 50% R-0013 into smaller tube of the same block you use for pH test. When you look straight down this smaller tube, there is no black dot?

As far as your equipment, pictures are kinda small. Looks to me like you have Hayward DE filter, Hayward pump and heater.
I can't tell what is that device with blue top on a top of pump suction line. Is it part of your pool control or is that SWCG?

On the TA test see this note:

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

Nope. No black dot at the bottom. Will take a photo tomorrow. Can I just add one with a sharpie?

I’m going to do another round of tests tomorrow and see what I get.

The blue top thing is some sort of uv Ray device. Guy at the store said it was worthless.

That's odd about the block not having the dot... you're looking down into the left small side, right? It's not on the right side where you do the pH test.

Also, you don't need to use 25ml of water for the DPD FC test. Use 10ml and count each drop as .5ppm. That's good enough, neither you nor anyone here needs that specific of results. It will also save reagents.

I vote sharpie. Make a dot. Although it should be done from the inside. The plastic will decrease the blackness if done on the outside. I am certain that no sharpie will fit into that tube. It's super skinny. Much less reagent than the TFP tube. The mixing bottle is 14ml total.

Seems to me that only real way to fudge it would be to sharpie a dot onto a piece of paper and stuff it into the tube. Or maybe some clear contact paper.

The block needs to be replaced. Not cool. I'm not sure anyone has ever reported this issue yet. You win first prize!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.