Howdy! (Got a question about using 2 pumps)

TomTom1298

Jun 22, 2019
Netherlands
Howdy!

I’ve owned a round 3.66m x 1m pool last year, and this week I’ve noticed it had a small leak in it. So I’ve bought a new pool (488 x 244 x 107) and they delivered the same (at least they look the same) filter pump. And I also have my previous pump. Can I connect them 2 to each other ?

I would like to have it like this:
Skimmer to Oulet pool > 1st pump > 2nd pump > inlet pool.

I’m thinking about this as my pool is now 10.500 liters, and my previous pool only 6000, so it’s nearly twice as much.

Just wondering what the effect is if I hook them up.

Welcome to the forum!
I do not think that will work, but, why do you think you need so much flow? Water being pumped through a filter does not keep the water clean, the water chemistry does. The filter simple removes stuff that falls into the pool.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: TomTom1298
I have two pumps, in parallell. In addition to increased flow and filtration, I have one running through the heater, the other runs my Intex pool cleaner. Indepentent, remote power switching for each pump. Works great.
I know this is old but im curious how your pumps are set up. Pictures? Im wanting more water flow and to better skim my little pool. I cant figure out how to justify 3x more for a bigger pump than my current 1000gph one vs getting a 2nd one and paralleling them.

We just threw the hoses over the side. Weighed down the suction side with a bat weight and bungied the return to the rail.

in_n_out_hokey.jpg

Bunch more pics here Index of /images

These did run 24/7 but it was a larger pool than yours and needed it.

I've been playing around with the idea of 2 pumps, one to clean the pool and a smaller one for the water features. In my case I would run them parallel to each other, that way i can shut off the water features pump when not in use. I could even get a cartrige pump for the water features and run it without the cartrige, the whole purpose would be to move water, not to filter.

In your case, I could be wrong but I dont think hooking them up in series is a good idea for different reasons, like Marty said, them pump removes debris from the pool, however, if you are to install 2 pumps, do it in parallel to each other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For pool uses, two pumps in series does nothing, especially with two identical pumps. A booster pump will take flow and boost it's pressure, but it has less flow. Two filters could be useful such as a coarse filter then a fine filter, but we already do that with a skimmer basket.

Two pumps in parallel could have some uses, but none of it is cost effective and needs extra equipment. Putting just the filters in parallel could help your filter size, but if it's the tiny stuff it's a waste.

Two pumps as separate system is ok, you will get good filtration but your water velocity will be the same, maybe a little better, if you have the pumps on hand and the filters are usable and not the typical tiny stuff, you will need to buy some bulkheads.

Just buy something proper, it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.