Howdy from Houston

rkb2112

Jan 28, 2021
Houston TX
Hello all. I'm Rusty and my wife Amber and I recently moved into the Heights neighborhood and are starting the design and pool builder process. Planning to build an approx 10'-11' x 20'-25' pool with spa. Will be a rectangular shaped design and have depth of 3.5'-4' on one end to 5.5'-6' on the other end. Thinking about having a sunning deck as well. I'll probably start a post in the Under Construction forum area once we get a little further along, but I'll gladly accept any feedback anyone has for now. Wish us luck!

Welcome fellow Houstonian. There are many contributors on the forum from the Houston area.
You have found a very informative site.
It is best to provide what you are considering prior to signing any contract with a PB as the contributors can help you fine tune your requirements and provide you some discussion points with the PB prior to and after you receive their quotes.

Welcome fellow Houstonian. There are many contributors on the forum from the Houston area.
You have found a very informative site.
It is best to provide what you are considering prior to signing any contract with a PB as the contributors can help you fine tune your requirements and provide you some discussion points with the PB prior to and after you receive their quotes.
Will definitely do that. I've browed a few New Construction threads and folks get pretty detailed with their specs. Feedback I've read already has been very helpful. Excited to get this going!

Hey, rkb. A couple observations based on our mistakes. First the "sunning deck" you mentioned. If that is the flat shallow 6-8" section of pool that people call a sun shelf, Baja shelf or the like, then fwiw I consider that one of the dumbest things we let our pool builder convince us we needed. Besides the health risks from sunbathing, it's part of the pool that our robot can't clean (too shallow) and most of the time it's just a shallow place on the way to the steps down into the pool. Starting again, I'd put steps all the way across the shallow end instead of the sun shelf. Steps give people a place to sit in the pool at various depths--and having the steps across the whole end of the pool leaves room for sitting without blocking the steps.

Next, deep end. Our pool builder suggested 5 feet deep end. My wife wanted six feet, so that's what we got. A lot of people want to stand in the pool, but not many can stand in six feet of water (or play water volleyball, for example), yet 6 feet is way too shallow for diving, so what good is it? Finally, we have a pool that one end is a stupid 8" deep wading shelf and the other end is too deep to stand, and our 40 foot long pool is only 100% usable for the center 20 feet. I would also prefer a shallower deep end in case I need to rescue a kid or someone else, as I'd like to be able to stand on the bottom during the rescue. You're building a fairly small pool, so be sure you're going to be able to use it all. Just one opinion from someone who has built one pool and would do it differently now--but probably won't ever build a pool again.

Tanning ledge is fine if you think you’ll actually use it. Small kids, grand kids, like that area. But put it off to the side if you want one and leave the middle open for swimming/playing. Just my two cents.
I love ours. The dogs use it a lot too. It’s kinda their spot!
This is a great place to learn about all things pool related.
Welcome!!!

Hey, rkb. A couple observations based on our mistakes. First the "sunning deck" you mentioned. If that is the flat shallow 6-8" section of pool that people call a sun shelf, Baja shelf or the like, then fwiw I consider that one of the dumbest things we let our pool builder convince us we needed. Besides the health risks from sunbathing, it's part of the pool that our robot can't clean (too shallow) and most of the time it's just a shallow place on the way to the steps down into the pool. Starting again, I'd put steps all the way across the shallow end instead of the sun shelf. Steps give people a place to sit in the pool at various depths--and having the steps across the whole end of the pool leaves room for sitting without blocking the steps.

Next, deep end. Our pool builder suggested 5 feet deep end. My wife wanted six feet, so that's what we got. A lot of people want to stand in the pool, but not many can stand in six feet of water (or play water volleyball, for example), yet 6 feet is way too shallow for diving, so what good is it? Finally, we have a pool that one end is a stupid 8" deep wading shelf and the other end is too deep to stand, and our 40 foot long pool is only 100% usable for the center 20 feet. I would also prefer a shallower deep end in case I need to rescue a kid or someone else, as I'd like to be able to stand on the bottom during the rescue. You're building a fairly small pool, so be sure you're going to be able to use it all. Just one opinion from someone who has built one pool and would do it differently now--but probably won't ever build a pool again.

Thanks for the input Bowser. Those are very good points, especially about the deep end. I may revise and go with something like 5 ft instead. On the sun shelf I do think we'll use it a fair amount, but your comment about seating area give me some other ideas. Again thanks!

Tanning ledge is fine if you think you’ll actually use it. Small kids, grand kids, like that area. But put it off to the side if you want one and leave the middle open for swimming/playing. Just my two cents.
I love ours. The dogs use it a lot too. It’s kinda their spot!
This is a great place to learn about all things pool related.
Welcome!!!

Thanks Jbrillo! Definitely will have the tanning ledge at one end and not near the middle. A good point!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the welcome! After further consideration I think we are going to eliminate the sun deck. Takes up quite a bit of our space for the actual pool and I think we'd rather get on a float in the pool anyway.
That is the great value of this forum. You obtain many different views with actual use or first hand knowledge, then you can assess it all and make a decision. Then move on to the next step.
Post a picture of your revised design to keep everyone updated.

That is the great value of this forum. You obtain many different views with actual use or first hand knowledge, then you can assess it all and make a decision. Then move on to the next step.
Post a picture of your revised design to keep everyone updated.

Will do as soon as I get one! Looking forward to everyone's input.

I do have a quick question (I'll do a search as well), but I'm told that the City of Houston requires a solar pool cover. Is this for real?

but I'm told that the City of Houston requires a solar pool cover. Is this for real?
I do not live in city of Houston nor Harris County so I have never heard this. Probably best to call some pool companies. Do you mean if you want a cover you have to buy one that is solar or is it a requirement to buy a solar cover for all pools.

Welcome! I’m in the The Woodlands and built our pool, sounds similar in design, 1 year ago.. see my details below. this place really provides a wealth of knowledge on the process. Happy to help if you have any questions on my build.. I highly recommend going with SWG in our area, no matter what your PB says... Maintenance has been so easy!

Last edited:
I do not live in city of Houston nor Harris County so I have never heard this. Probably best to call some pool companies. Do you mean if you want a cover you have to buy one that is solar or is it a requirement to buy a solar cover for all pools.

I'm told its a code requirement that the pool have some sort of a solar cover. But I'm pretty sure it can be an inexpensive floating plastic tarp or something like that.

This forum is your free consultant. Lots of experience on this forum concerning what works and what doesn't.

Reactions: rkb2112

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support