Howdy.. Another new pool in Texas

Need some help...
Last week we filled our pool and as noted previously I was really impressed by how "clear" the water was... well it rained all of last week and by the time they finally "started" the chemicals my pool had a green tint to it. Now its "blue" but its still "cloudy". I've kept a close eye on my pool levels sometimes checking it 3x/day. So I know my PH was never crazy out of whack. My biggest challenge has been to keep the CH up (I've used a 25lb bucket in 3 days). 20200627_082451.jpg
Latest #s
PH 7.5
CH 275
TA 110
CL 2

My guess is those first few days without chlorine did it - algae. Weather is warm now and with no chlorine in the water it's an open door for algae very quickly. Unfortunately you can't even perform a SLAM Process right now for 30 days with a new pool still curing. I would just keep the FC and CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You should be fine on the upper end of the regular FC target scale, but don't go to SLAM level for 30 days.

Reactions: Locotl
Didn't want to start another thread.....
Can someone help me find out why my walls have this calcium build up on my wall. Do I need a hard wire brush (I have a vinyl brush). PH and Calcium has never been way off. Its been raining like crazy last couple of days with the storm...
Todays levels:
PH 7.8
CH 300
TA 110
FC 4.5
CYA 60
20200726_132933.jpg20200726_132753.jpg20200726_144449.jpg

Loco, nothing in your water test results indicates a condition which would indicate scale. Have you been able to scrape any of it off and test it by pouring a small amount of muriatic acid on it (fizzle)? I can't tell from the photo and your signature doesn't specify .... what type of pool surface do you have?

Loco, nothing in your water test results indicates a condition which would indicate scale. Have you been able to scrape any of it off and test it by pouring a small amount of muriatic acid on it (fizzle)? I can't tell from the photo and your signature doesn't specify .... what type of pool surface do you have?
Yes I can scrape it off with my fingers. I have a Primera stone finish (polished pebble). Its still a chlorinated pool for now since I'm 3 1/2 weeks into filling the pool.
I will try to add muriatic acid to it. What am i looking for?

Just to see if it bubbles or fizzles to confirm calcium. So the pool is under a month old then. Still doing lots of brushing I imagine, or not so much anymore?
It does bubble.... on the TF -100 it says that if calcium is high that it will come out from walls..... but my levels are normal if anything at the beginning of the fill up it was low....for whatever reason I notice that most of the "calcium leaks" are in the deep side

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't understand why there would be a propensity for the scale to show up on the deep end, so that's interesting. Using the PoolMath, I estimate your CSI to be 0.21 based on your latest test results. But if your pH slips upwards at all, the CSI really jumps up as well, so that may be something to consider. Still balanced overall, but the slight;y increased positive CSI may simply be enough to start letting calcium find places to grab. Curious, do you see any scale on your SWG?

In addition, you mentioned using a nylon brush, but perhaps that's not stiff enough. I'm not real familiar with the Primera stone, but perhaps you need to go up to a combo (50/50) brush? That seems to be the recommendation for wet-edge finishes. You might check with your builder or the company directly to confirm.

Reactions: Locotl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.