How would you manage a solar cover on this pool?

The cheapest, thinnest one you can find. The flimsy bubbles are the same on all of them, and the usual fail point. If you spent more on the thicker cover, you'll be upset when the bubbles popped anyway.

The thicker cover is less prone to rips, but being unmanageable heavy when wet makes it more likely to get snagged on something.

They all stop the same evaporation which is where 70% of your heat loss comes from. Pay no mind to any of the manufacturers claims that their cover makes heat, or retains more heat.

Reactions: mickey4paws
The cheapest, thinnest one you can find. The flimsy bubbles are the same on all of them, and the usual fail point. If you spent more on the thicker cover, you'll be upset when the bubbles popped anyway.

The thicker cover is less prone to rips, but being unmanageable heavy when wet makes it more likely to get snagged on something.

They all stop the same evaporation which is where 70% of your heat loss comes from. Pay no mind to any of the manufacturers claims that their cover makes heat, or retains more heat.
Would you recommend a certain manufacturer/type?

Any type will do. I usually buy from Sun2Solar or whatever is cheapest on Amazon. They don’t last so try not to overthink it. I buy one every year. This year I actually bought two so that I have my back up ready to go. Mine last 4 months with heavy use. I use it April through Sept.

Blue. The 'clear' one I had was hideous. It was opaque at best and with any air pockets or enough air around the bubbles, it was white.

Against what the manufacturer claimed, it performed no miracles. The weather still needed to cooperate a good deal. It was a moot point on cold weeks that the pool was 66 when it should have been 60.
manufacturer
The cheapest one you can find.

Get the 8mmm. I'd cut it into two pieces and avoid the reel because of the Diving board and the stairs. Stairs do not need to be covered, so just do the main pool...

Ok, I'll look into one in Amazon. I assume this has to lie on top of the water and it's not just suspended above it...
Correct.

Check Sun2Solar website. They are sold on Amazon as well, but the website was almost 20% cheaper.

I like having a reel. If I didn't have a real... I would use it. It's a PITA to wrangle and fold otherwise. The reel makes it a 2-minute process.

Correct.

Check Sun2Solar website. They are sold on Amazon as well, but the website was almost 20% cheaper.

I like having a reel. If I didn't have a real... I would use it. It's a PITA to wrangle and fold otherwise. The reel makes it a 2-minute process.
Can I use the reel with the diving board?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can I use the real with the diving board?

You can do it, it becomes a bit problematic. It can interfere with the diving board if a) the board doesn't extend far enough into the pool, b) the reel is to high. Either of those situations, causes interference...

They make low profile reels (short) designed to fit under the diving board but with the angled end, it would be over the pool. You could still do laps under it. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: PoolStored
The reel will be tricky as the concrete deck doesn't extend on the corners past the diving board, but it can work if you're willing to go through the trouble. By getting the thinner cover you'd be lightning the load on the reel making the maneuver easier. A low profile reel with casters on both ends so you can scoot it forward and then swing one side over the board while someone on the other end pushes it back behind the board

Stairs are there. The shape is the same on both ends tho.
I mean, I don't keep my reel there. I move it into place, and out of place... About 10ft linear to make the patio look cleaner and allow more room for people to jump in, and walk around the pool.

Reactions: summertimesadness
I mean, I don't keep my reel there. I move it into place, and out of place... About 10ft linear to make the patio look cleaner and allow more room for people to jump in, and walk around the pool.
I meant, I think I'll have the same issue as the deep end with the board, as there is a railing near the stairs.

I'd go bigger (correct width but longer) and trim to fit to include the stairs. It won't cost much more to do so. But it's an even % of coverage loss so even if you left the stairs open, you wouldn't notice that little bit exposed in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: summertimesadness
The solar reel does not have to go on one end or the other. It can be set in the middle of the pool. You create an upward fold in the solar cover for the strap clips. When you roll up the reel, it pulls from both ends. If you align this upward fold with a skimmer, you can use a hose to rinse the cover and use the fold as a dam to direct debris into the skimmer. You can move the reel after rolling up the cover. I used this method with my previous pool and it worked great.

1686843592037.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.