how to wire Hayward Variable speed pump to Pentair Easy touch automation

George,

I think the IC40's flow switch comes on at about 25 GPM, but it does not matter what it should do, it only matter what it does do.. With a clean filter start at about 1200 RPM and see if the flow light on the cell is green.. If not, adjust the speed up until it just comes on and then add 100 or 200 RPM for when the filter gets a little dirty.

I run at 1200 RPM because I do not have a heater.. With a heater you will most likely have to run at 1500 to 1800 RPM.. (Unless you have a heater by-pass)

I believe that if you are running the pump, you should be making chlorine. My pump runs 24/7 because I like making a little chlorine all the time and I love skimming all the time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

James,
Thanks...I did wondered if that was a good option too (Since my options are limited). So, to do that, would I just run a wire from the A port terminal on pump RS-485 block to one terminal on the 2 spd pump relay on the Pentair Easy Touch, and one wire from the B port terminal on the pump RS-485 to the other terminal on the 2 spd pump relay on the Pentair Easy Touch??(does it matter which wire goes where on the Easy Touch? The wiring diagram I'm looking at just shows to terminals without a 'label'
George

Thanks again Jim! I will not be 'on site' where the pool is until later this month, so I will follow up with the pictures then (I really wish I had some for my own reference too!). When I get there, I'll try to get everything wired up and then follow up here to get input (I really do appreciate all you've already helped with)
George
Jim,
One additional piece of information that I got from Pentair. I had reached out due to a re-occurring error/warning that I was getting on my ScreenLogic app (a Low flow error for my IntelliChlor). I asked what a minimum RPM on my pump should be and the answer from Pentair was
"Hello,
Yes you need at least 40 GPM to activate flow switches on most products – that can’t be anywhere from 1700-2000 RPM on any given system on average.
Julian Janzen
Technical Support Representative
Pentair

So, does that mean I need to set my minimum RPM's setting to 1700 RPM??
Thanks...George
Hi Jim,
I am finally onsite at my home with the pool. I did the wiring from the Hayward pump to the Pentair Easy Touch for the relay controls as Hayward suggested. It seems that it 'went well', but still not 100% sure on remotely controlling it. Please see the picture of my wiring setup (I have a 'before' picture in there too before I did ANYTHING myself)
Your input is greatly valued and appreciated. I am really struggling to fully understand my best course of action.
Thanks...George

Attachments

• Hayward relay wiring on pump.jpg
    Hayward relay wiring on pump.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Pentair easy touch wiring AFTER relay from Hayward.jpg
    Pentair easy touch wiring AFTER relay from Hayward.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Pentair easy touch wiring BEFORE picture.jpg
    Pentair easy touch wiring BEFORE picture.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Relay wiring on Pentair from Hayward pump.jpg
    Relay wiring on Pentair from Hayward pump.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 34
George,

It appears to me that you are using Aux 1 and Aux 2 to control two external speeds.

The Green wire is the control voltage being supplied by the pump..

When Aux 1 is closed, the White wire will tell the pump to run at XXX speed.. You have to set the speed you want the pump to run using the pump's control panel.

When Aux 2 is closed, the Black wire will tell the pump to run at ZZZ speed.. You have to set this speed at the pump also.

Normally if you close both relays at the same time, the pump will run at the faster speed, but you will need to look at your pump manual to confirm that.

The picture is way too small for me to tell if the pump side of the wiring is ok.. The EasyTouch side looks ok to me.

Does it work when you press the Aux 1 and / or the Aux 2 buttons?

From the remote controlling point of view... it is just like pushing the Aux 1 or Aux 2 buttons on the panel.. Only you will be pushing an icon under features.

You could also schedule the speeds to turn on and off on at specific times.

How do you want the system to work???

Thanks,

Jim R.

George,

It appears to me that you are using Aux 1 and Aux 2 to control two external speeds.

The Green wire is the control voltage being supplied by the pump..

When Aux 1 is closed, the White wire will tell the pump to run at XXX speed.. You have to set the speed you want the pump to run using the pump's control panel.

When Aux 2 is closed, the Black wire will tell the pump to run at ZZZ speed.. You have to set this speed at the pump also.

Normally if you close both relays at the same time, the pump will run at the faster speed, but you will need to look at your pump manual to confirm that.

The picture is way too small for me to tell if the pump side of the wiring is ok.. The EasyTouch side looks ok to me.

Does it work when you press the Aux 1 and / or the Aux 2 buttons?

From the remote controlling point of view... it is just like pushing the Aux 1 or Aux 2 buttons on the panel.. Only you will be pushing an icon under features.

You could also schedule the speeds to turn on and off on at specific times.

How do you want the system to work???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,
You nailed it in your response. You can sure see how this stuff works much easier than I can. My hair is falling out trying to figure this out. As far as 'how I want the system to work?".....My main concern is having the pump running enough to activate the heater for when we have renters here that want us to run the heater for them basically. And with the confidence to know that what is showing on our ScreenLogic app is TRULY what is ACTUALLY happening. We've had times where it appears on the app that the heater is running or the pump is running, but in actuality, it is NOT. I had this conversation (via email) with the Pentair folks and he gave me NO CONFIDENCE that I could trust what the app is showing is correct. As a matter of fact, he said "So the app means nothing, it may show you on your phone it is turning things on and off but I assure you it is not" (that is a copy/paste quote from what the technician told me) I was like, that was the WHOLE reason that I purchased the automation system, so that I could remotely control the operation and monitor what was happening. I hope I'm making sense. Things seemed to work pretty well today, with the new exception that the heater kept giving a FLO error. I increased the RPM's which would usually correct it, but I still don't know what speed that now the heater is expecting. I looked at the manual, but it has it in GPM and I don't know how to figure the GPM from the RPM's. they say the 'recommended GPM is 45'.
I hope I'm making sense....I know I'm rambling a little...very stressful day working with this wiring and trying to figure it out without 'blowing something up'.:eek:
Thanks..George

George,

You don't really need to know the GPM, just increase the RPM, and little at a time until the Flow error on the heater shuts off.. I would then add another 100 RPM just to make sure.

Normally, ScreenLogic works just like you imagined it works. If you turn on a light, it will show the light on. If you turn off the light, it will show the light off..

I think what the Pentair tech was trying to say is.. ScreenLogic just tells the EasyTouch to do things.. ScreenLogic itself, does not directly control things.. As an example. If you tell ScreenLogic to turn on a light.. It just tells the EasyTouch to turn on the light. If the light bulb is bad, ScreenLogic has no way to know that. It will show the light as on, even the EasyTouch will think the light is on, but obviously, if the bulb is bad, the light will not be on.

In most cases ScreenLogic and even the EasyTouch is an open loop circuit. It only knows that it told the system to do something, but there is no feedback that it did.

In some cases you can actually see the feedback.. As an example.. Pump speed with an IntelliFlo.. If you tell the pump to run at 2000 RPM, you can see the actual pump speed increase as the pump ramps up. (You will not be able to see this using the relays..)

In my experience, unless there is a malfunction of one of the other units, what ScreenLogic shows is exactly what is happening at the other end.

Another example would be that the pump breaker pops.. so now the pump has no AC power.. ScreenLogic has no way to tell that with the Hayward pump. With an IntelliFlo, you would show a loss of communications with the pump.

It is what it is, and if this were my system I would trust what ScreenLogic says, until I was proven wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Jim,.
Thanks again for your time and responses (and expertise!). I am hoping to get some more time tomorrow to work out my issues and get things corrected. Also, hoping that I can get someone from Pentair to walk me through some things. They "told me" how to get rid of a "system alert" error that I was having stating "Pool Solar Temp sensor"(I don't have a Solar heater, or solar sensor.....but the steps they provided did not work (actually, they weren't correct at all...could not follow them on the Easy Touch because it gave a message that the tech didn't expect)
Tomorrow is my last day here to get things worked out. If I can't get it tomorrow, I guess I'll have to call a pool company and shell out a small fortune for them to "guess their way through it"......
I'll try to report back in tomorrow after working on it some more.
Thank you!!
George

Your Builtright HP requires a temperature sensor or a 10K resistor to be installed as the Solar Temperature Sensor for your ET to control it.

CBF5858D-8CCA-4DAD-AFCD-4955DDCCF407.jpeg

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thanks Allen.....I appreciate the copy/paste instructions, but they "seem" to indicate this direction if you have both "heat pump and gas heater" for using the Dual heater relay kit:unsure: I only have the Built Right electric heat pump. Maybe I'm reading those instructions wrong?!? You can zoom in on the low voltage panel of my system. The water/air have a sensor wired to the panel and Solar is empty as I would expect since I don't have Solar heat, but I still get the error. I was going to just jump a wire, but I assume it won't like that either if it expects a certain level of resistance.
Still struggling! thank you very much for your input!
George

Attachments

• Pentair sensors wiring_air_water_solar.jpg
    Pentair sensors wiring_air_water_solar.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 12
The ET needs to see resistance. Jump it with a resistor.

The need for a Solar Sensor with a HP is poorly documented but is necessary. Experieneced installers know to install it. It seems to tell the ET it is controlling a HP and not a gas heater.

The ET needs to see resistance. Jump it with a resistor.

The need for a Solar Sensor with a HP is poorly documented but is necessary. Experieneced installers know to install it. It seems to tell the ET it is controlling a HP and not a gas heater.
Allen,
FYI.....The Pentair folks were able to "deactivate" the solar sensor via the ScreenLogic Connect software (the tech I spoke to originally that gave me the instructions for deactivating on the panel gave 'incomplete' instructions.) but deactivating it via the 'configure ScreenLogic' from the software DID work(they explained that I could have done it myself, but I was having issues installing the ScreenLogic Connect software on my PC and the tech today helped me get this squared away). So, I no longer am seeing the error/warning after deactivating the Solar sensor. Thanks for your help.

Jim R., (and anyone else interested)
I believe the updated wiring that Hayward recommended in conjunction with setting up Relay Mode control from the Pentair relays seems to have done the trick. So, I have the pump wired to Aux 1 and Aux 2 relays on the Pentair and set a timer for them to activate when I want the pump to run (I have setup schedules on the pump itself designating the desired pump Speed (RPM's). I had to also setup 'pool' schedules to provide power to the pump when the relays are scheduled to 'fire'. so, now when the Aux 1 and Aux 2 Pentair scheduled times arrive, they activate the pump (and corresponding pump speeds) to run the pump for the scheduled times.
This comes as close as I can to take advantage of the variable speed pump (Hayward) and the Pentair automation combination. I have another 'test' for ensuring proper functionality scheduled at 9pm tonight. If it runs correctly. I am good to go.
Thanks a TON for your help!!!!(y). If I have any issues, I will report back, in case this thread is able to help anyone else with this Pump/Automation combination.
Thanks again!, George

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.